Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help with identifying and valuing a Speed Graphic

View previous topic :: View next topic  
exbrit49

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2002 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found a Speed graphic, 4x5 format. it has the standard rear shutter, but the lens is a Carl Zeiss Jena F4.5. 13.5 Cm and the shutter is by F Deckel, Compur Munich. Need help with identifying the year and approx value. Mechanically everthing seems fine, both shutters work fine and the chrome is really good, There is some wear on the leatheretted covering. The back is the standard Spring 4x5 back with the leatherettes gone from the flip up back itself, Bellows are in really good shape,
Instead of a rangefinder there is a viewfinder and all in all the camera is very sound.
Its the Zeiss lens and compur shutter that thrw me as normally i believe these were sold with Kodak lenses. can provide some jpeg images if it will help
Would appreciate any help on this camera.
Roger

[ This Message was edited by: exbrit49 on 2002-07-23 20:02 ]
Les

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2002 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeiss Jena Tessars were common on Pre-anniversary cameras and early Anniversaries. During the war it was difficult to get German optics, and after we bombed the plant to sand, they weren't thrilled about selling. Also it took a few years for the public to accept German glass as good.

Go back through this site. there are photographs of pre-anns, Anns and Pacemakers. I'm guessing it's a pre ann and without a rangefinder worth about$75, but after you know what it is look on ebay for the same thing.

exbrit49

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2002 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thnaks Les,
I went back and lookes and you are right its a pre-ammiversary model. I picked it up for $40 dollars so I got a good buy.
Going to try it out in the next few weeks as everthing seems to function perfectly. Thamks for taking the time to respond.
I have Photo portrait studio and may even try it out in there, I Have a wonderful od 1912 Connelly as well as quite collection of old cameras, I want to use the Speed Graphic so It should be a lot of fun. Thanks again
Roger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> View Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: