Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Long Focus Graphic Prototype? One-Off?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Other Graflex Camera Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom Duncan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:48 pm    Post subject: Long Focus Graphic Prototype? One-Off? Reply with quote

Can someone please tell me how to insert photos in this forum?

I have an interesting long focus, fixed focus, very large, very heavy metal bodied camera built around a 5x7 Speed Graphic shutter with a 12.5" f6.3 Graf Anastigmat lens I'd like to get more info on but need to post photos of it. I'm guessing this camera is a one-off or a prototype, possibly aerial or stadium use. A search of this forum and a Google search came up empty regarding posting photos.

Thanks

Tom Duncan
45PSS

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Can someone please tell me how to insert photos in this forum?

You upload your photos to a photo hosting site such as Flickr then either embed the photo here using the link provided by the hosting site or you link to it.
Quote:
I have an interesting long focus, fixed focus, very large, very heavy metal bodied camera built around a 5x7 Speed Graphic shutter with a 12.5" f6.3 Graf Anastigmat lens I'd like to get more info on but need to post photos of it. I'm guessing this camera is a one-off or a prototype, possibly aerial or stadium use

You quite possibly have what is known as a Big Bertha. Big Bertha's were built on the Home Portrait Graflex with a focus shift lever for focusing on fixed areas of a baseball filed such as home plate, first/third base and second base. They were used in other venues also.

Click on the site Search button, put big bertha in the search box then click all the terms box then click search.
Tom Duncan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:32 pm    Post subject: Photos... Reply with quote

Thanks for the instructions, I've created a Google Album, here's a link to it:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/33GX7Z3eeNvdzdTm9

I'll see if I can figure out how to post an actual picture here.

As you can see, not a Big Bertha. Built on a Speed Graphic body, not a Graflex.

The camera is in excellent condition except for tape residue on the body which you can see in the photos. So far lighter fluid hasn't had much affect, may try Goop or somesuch.

The construction quality if very good, not a garage cobble job. The aluminum protective back plate looks like it was added later.

Tom
Tom Duncan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 5:37 pm    Post subject: One Photo... Reply with quote

As you can see above I've figured out how to link to photos but this is all I get when I try to embed one of the photos in the post:

[img]https://photos.app.goo.gl/6MCuuxYLNX11bsmP7[/img]

What am I doing wrong?

Is there a post or tutorial somewhere on the site so that I can learn how to do this without doing it here?

Thanks

Tom
45PSS

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This appears to be a DIY conversion using a Focal Plane Shutter from a Pre Anniversary Speed Graphic. The body has been cut down and the back modified to accept Bag Magazine(s).
The FPS controls are the give away (vintage) and the distance from the front edge of the FPS control(wind) plate to the edge of the box is the other. The back opening has been widened as Bag Magazines are wider than standard sheet film holders and the retaining system is definitely home made. The Optical Viewfinder is factory.
Tom Duncan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So perhaps this has a Pre-Anniversary shutter assembly in a custom metal body. I don't think the body is anything like any Speed Graphic I've ever had so I don't think this is a 'cut down body'.

Tom
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Pre Anniversary operating instructions here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1sPJkp-MdghWmU1ZVBORzNYMWc
The Bag Magazine instructions are here if you need them:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1sPJkp-MdghNFVsYXk0a1dUTHM/view?usp=sharing

The Anniversary added a lockout to the shutter operating to prevent accidental exposures. The C-3 Graphic is the military version of the Anniversary. The Pre and Anny. shutter servicing is the same.
https://www.cameramanuals.org/prof_pdf/c-3_graflex_camera.pdf
William Hallett

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this a fixed-focus camera? If there is any adjustment for focus (via that brass ring on the lens, for example) then it appears to have a pretty small range for a 12.5 inch lens. I wonder if it might be a special camera for taking mug shots, or perhaps for copying things of a fixed size.
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks fixed focus. No sign of focusing mechanism on the lens cone. The back holds a bag mag very securely with no provision for a focusing panel.

A 12" lens is longer than usually used on mug shot cameras. Also, its native orientation is landscape, not portrait.

According to the VM, the 12" Graf Anastigmat is for 8x10.

If it is a prototype, it is probably for a hand-held aerial camera. At even odds Graflex had nothing to do with it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Other Graflex Camera Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: