Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Repair of Rear Shutter Curtain on RB Auto and Speed Graphic

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Other Graflex Camera Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
elanphoto

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:49 am    Post subject: Repair of Rear Shutter Curtain on RB Auto and Speed Graphic Reply with quote

I'm looking for a source for repairing a vintage Graflex RB Automatic & Speed Graphic (both 4x5) rear shutter curtains. The RB curtain is intact but the winding knob is STUCK (moves about 1/4 turn) while the Speed Graphic curtain is detached. I've tried everything I can think to un-stick the RB Auto with no luck. Both are very early models and both are in beautiful condition otherwise. Thanks for any and all help.
45PSS

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The RB Auto is a Reflex camera. Take a look at the instruction manual for Graflex SLR's linked at the intro to the Reflex Help section.
Once you are sure you're trying to operate it correctly download
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1sPJkp-MdghRkRId1EwT0dpNkk

For the Speed Graphic download http://www.graflex.org/manuals/45-Pacemaker-Speed-and-Crown-Graphic.pdf
Plibond contact cement will work well for reattaching the curtain to the roller.
The curtain must be centered (left/right) on the roller with the end of the curtain parallel with the roller shaft of the tube otherwise the curtain will not wind evenly.
elanphoto

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much! Something is definitely awry after checking to be sure the settings were correct on the RB Auto, so I'll use the repair steps in the link provided. Very much appreciate all.

Keith
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes the curtain sticks to itself.
elanphoto

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The section that's visible is in great condition (not dry, no creases) but we'll see what's up when I get into it! I actually repair typewriters (self taught) but something new like this always intimidates me. I'll document photographically as I go. Hoping I only have to go so far into to find the 'hitch'.

Btw, Something I've been wanting to get into as a side venture for several years now is processing BW film (16mm to 8x10)m and possibly making fine art prints for potential clients, all of which I've been doing for 30 years for myself. Do you think there may be a niche market for that, or have others beat me to to it? Your perspective would be very welcome. Thanks again!
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Btw, Something I've been wanting to get into as a side venture for several years now is processing BW film (16mm to 8x10)m and possibly making fine art prints for potential clients, all of which I've been doing for 30 years for myself. Do you think there may be a niche market for that, or have others beat me to to it? Your perspective would be very welcome.

You'll never know until you try. Expect it to be a slow start.

I've considered similar but life keeps getting in the way.
GraflexParts

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe I'm a fair bit late to the discussion here, but I build shutter curtains for Graflex and other cameras.

It's typical to find a graflex curtain that's fused itself together after sitting for 50 years, usually this will result in a loss of coating and subsequent pinholes.

Here's a link to a video of a curtain I built firing:
https://youtu.be/lYTye56uWcI
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Other Graflex Camera Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: