Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please help I.D. Believe it's a later RB Cycle Graphic 5x7?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Other Graflex Camera Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UnivCam

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:45 pm    Post subject: Please help I.D. Believe it's a later RB Cycle Graphic 5x7? Reply with quote

Hi all!

Any information you could give me on this camera would be interesting, so please don't hesitate to post if something pops up in your head.

A local shop has this Graflex ******* and I'm thinking about buying it, but I'm not 100% on what exactly it is. What confuses me is that it's made of wood but has a "Graflex, Inc." name plate and no model identification on it.

After doing some research and asking some questions to some other more knowledgeable photo enthusiasts, it looks like this is an RB Cycle Graphic of some kind. I'd like to know a bit more than this about the camera, which is why I'm posting here. I did read Graflex was somewhat unorthodox in its production methods which makes it more difficult to specifically identify things sometimes. Dunno--I'm just learning.

I apologize for the poor photographs. The woman at the shop had to stand with me at the counter while I looked at the camera and I didn't want to make her wait long, so I snapped these and left.

Probably going back to pick it up later today, but I would rest a little easier if I heard some other people's opinions.

Thanks!
45PSS

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would help to know the serial number and the format.
UnivCam

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it's 5x7 or close to that. I'll get the serial number in a little while. Thanks.
Henry

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that an original metal tag on the front standard? When did postal zones come into use?
45PSS

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My research shows a batch of 5x7 Cycle Graphics listed mid year 1923, a batch of 6 1/2 x 8 1/2 Cycle Graphics in late 1923 and another in mid year 1924.
The name tag on the camera in question is in sync with the monopoly suit filed against Kodak. See Eastman Kodak and Graflex section of http://graflex.org/articles/kingslake/ . I do not know when the name changed on the nameplates.
UnivCam

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I bought it!
Will post some better pics later. Need to take a closer look, but it appears to have a 5 digit serial number. And I do think it's bigger than 5x7. Maybe the 6 1/2 x 8 1/2 someone mentioned?

Pretty neat little bellows camera!

Also: SCORE! Found a Canon FD 28/2 lens for almost nothing. I can't help myself sometimes--like being in a toy store.
Henry

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kingslake article cited (above) by 45PSS says that the company name became Graflex Inc. in 1945! The camera pictured certainly appears, to my imperfect senses, to be older than that, perhaps a good bit older, ditto the lens/shutter. The serial number, when revealed, may help to clarify the matter.
UnivCam

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello!

Well, the serial number is 93793. I'll have to check where that places this camera, or when it suggests it was produced.

I've attached a few pics of the camera.

I don't know the difference between a double extension and a triple extension. This camera seems to have 3 sets of extension rails. Can anyone comment on this?

It came with 4 cut film holders, and the are of exposure on these measures just about 5"x7"--not as big as I thought.

Overall, it's in pretty nice condition. Just needs some TLC and cleaning.

If anyone has any info or comments, I'd love to hear them.

Thanks!
Henry

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The serial no. dates your camera to the later 19-teens, c. 1916-17-18 or so. Given that date, if correct (and the visual evidence does support it), then the Graflex tag affixed to the front standard definitely does not belong to this camera. The plot thickens....
UnivCam

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the date info. It looked like it dated to about that time from the lists I could find. Not sure if the Kodak 170/7.7 lens is of a similar age? Seems like it's not quite as old. Shutter is in perfect working order. Will have to check that serial #.
Jim C.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

170mm seems short for a 5x7, I agree with Henry that the Graflex tag doesn't belong, it's off a much later Speed Graphic.
With 3 rails it's a triple extension, which allows you to use longer lenses.

This may help you if you're in need of more info -
http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/graflex_20.html
UnivCam

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dates were not recorded in the era your camera was made. It is about 2/3 into the order for 300 5x7 RB Cycle Graphics. I agree with Henry on the date.
The bed length is single extension, one extension further is double, 2 extensions is triple.

Remove the name plate and examine the front standard underneath. It might reveal a nameplate of different size and shape was once present.
UnivCam

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try taking the nameplate off. Good call. Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Other Graflex Camera Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: