Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

restoration of a Century Graphic
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Graflex.org Site Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OlderGuy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:55 am    Post subject: restoration of a Century Graphic Reply with quote

Where would be a good place to find information on refurbishing a Century Graphic?

I saw a post on Ebay of a reprint of the assembly and repair of one of these, but it was dated 1961, so I don't know if it would be the correct manual for my camera.

The serial number of my Century is: 531442, if that means anything.
1banjo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The century graphic camera from 1949 to 1970 is essentially the same camera very few modifications. So any shop service manual for a century graphic should be usable for your camera the major difference on any century is what type of lens it has. So you may need to find a service manual for your shutter
1banjo

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now as to your s#531442 would be a
1962 or 1963
A s# of 528754 is a 1962
A s# of 531994 is a 1963
45PSS

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Date code http://graflex.org/helpboard/viewtopic.php?t=3321 is on the bottom of the rails, most likely the front most cross member. The ink stamp may be faded and hard to see or washed off during a cleaning.
Otherwise its 1963, #58 of 1500 built from July '63 to May '64.
OlderGuy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:01 am    Post subject: Another question... Reply with quote

First thank you all for the replies.

Now I am wanting to get a wide angle lens for my camera. KEH has a 65mm 6.8 Angulon in a Linhof Synchro Compur. It is rated as EX, but that is just one step above BGN. Any thoughts anybody?

It says on the Graflex.org site that a 47mm lens would work on a Century, but what brands would they be?

I can't find any that are not listed as 'Super' something or another and correct me if I am wrong, but I can't see how a 47mm Super Angulon would fit on this camera.

Thanks all,
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Synchro Compur is a work horse shutter. Compur is a Zeiss company. Synchro means its synchronized for flash. If its been maintained it will be reliable. It may need a Clean Lube Adjust which will run around $100. It is a difficult shutter to learn on if attempting to do the CLA yourself.

The Angulon will cover the format it is designed for. A Super Angalon has a a larger image circle allowing for more movements. The data for the Angulation and Super Angulon is here: https://www.schneideroptics.com/info/vintage_lens_data/large_format_lenses/index.htm

Coverage is based on the diagional of the format in use. The Century Graphic is a 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 format camera. According to the ANSI standards the image size is 2.163 x 3.338 inch. The diaognal in millimeters is 100.66.
Henry

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Another question... Reply with quote

OlderGuy wrote:
First thank you all for the replies.

Now I am wanting to get a wide angle lens for my camera. KEH has a 65mm 6.8 Angulon in a Linhof Synchro Compur. It is rated as EX, but that is just one step above BGN. Any thoughts anybody?

It says on the Graflex.org site that a 47mm lens would work on a Century, but what brands would they be?

I can't find any that are not listed as 'Super' something or another and correct me if I am wrong, but I can't see how a 47mm Super Angulon would fit on this camera.

Thanks all,

I very much doubt that any 47mm lens would work on a Century, regardless of what it says on this site (where is that reference, BTW? I don't recall seeing it here.). I have the Optar 65mm/f6.8 in Graphex shutter, and it is just possible to get infinity focus with the bed racked all the way back into the camera body.

The "normal" lens for the Century is 101-103-105mm (take your pick). I have the 103 Graftar in Century shutter, which was "standard" for this camera, as well as the 101 Optar in Graphex. (All these shutters are Wollensaks.) I find the Graftar is excellent, esp. for hand-held work in the self-cocking Century shutter, but the lens doesn't cover movements (rise/fall, shift). For this, the Optar 101 on tripod is recommended.
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry, I use a 47/5.6 Super Angulon on my Century. Also a 45/9 Carl Zeiss Jena Dagor. And, finally, a 35/4.5 Apo Grandagon.

OlderGuy, 47/5.6 and 47/8 Super Angulons will work on a Century. So will the much less common 47/8 Ilex and the much more expensive 45/4.5 Apo Grandagon.

To attach a 35 or 45 Apo Grandagon (on board, ready to use) to a Century, unscrew the rear cell, mount board with shutter and front cell. Then wiggle the rear cell through the camera's gate and screw it back into the shutter.

My 47/5.6 SA's rear cell passes through the front standard. Putting it on the camera isn't a problem.

The 65/6.8 Angulon and 65/6.8 Optar/Raptar are different designs but are functionally equivalent. I had a 65 Raptar, never got a satisfactory shot with it. I have 58/5.6 Konica Hexanon (ex-Koni Omegaflex), 60/5.6 Konica Hexanon (ex-Koni Omega), 60/14 Berthiot Perigraphe, 65/8 Ilex, 65/8 Fuji SWD. The last two are f/8 Super Angulon clones.

The Koni lenses are good but their native shutters will work only on their native cameras so they're somewhat poisoned gifts unless you have a spare #0 shutter (press will work with the 58, the 60 needs a cock-and-shoot). The Ilex is uncommon. The Perigraphe is a marvel but expensive to adapt. Your best bet for a 65 or so would be an f/8 Super Angulon or the Fuji equivalent.
Henry

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OlderGuy, Dan Fromm is the authority on this matter; I defer to his advice. I will say that my 65 Optar gives satisfactory results but it is tricky to focus. In my experience, if you happen to hit the sweet spot with it the image is very sharp. Also, keep in mind that there are sample variations, and one man's 65 may be better or worse than another's.
OlderGuy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 10:59 pm    Post subject: Angulon 65mm 47mm Super, etc... Reply with quote

Thanks to all of you for the what seems to be a complete discussion on this subject, that is if there is no more. You all have given me a very good starting place and it seems I don't need to be in any great hurry to buy the first lens out there.

Thanks again,
Older Guy
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OlderGuy, you might want to read this: http://www.galerie-photo.com/telechargement/dan-fromm-6x9-lenses-v2-2011-03-29.pdf

I bought several of the lenses mentioned above after we put the article to bed.

Good luck, have fun,

Dan
OlderGuy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:13 am    Post subject: Schneider Super-Angulon Multicoated 65 mm F/5.6 Lens Reply with quote

What about a Schneider Super-Angulon Multicoated 65mm F/5.6 Lens?
Would that fit in a Century and also, would I need a center filter?
Would I be better off with an f/8? An f/8 isn't multicoated though.

Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have the money a 65/5.6 SA is preferable to an f/8er because it is 1 stop faster and therefore easier to focus. Multicoating is nice, isn't all that important.

But and however, the f/5.6er's rear cell will have to be removed and reattached -- see my comments above about Apo-Grandagons -- when the lens is put on the camera.

Other lenses in this class include the 65/5.6 EBC Fujinon SWD, 65/4.5 Grandagon-N and Nikkor-SW 65/4.

If I felt the need for a fast 65 I'd probably buy the Grandagon.

You should find all this out for yourself. This list of links http://1drv.ms/1w0vbMD will help you do that.

Remember, Graphics help those who help themselves.
OlderGuy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:46 am    Post subject: CLA again Reply with quote

Hello again.

I just received my 47mm f/8 Super Angulon. Everything is there, I mean the retaining ring was included along with both lens caps. Looks very clean and clear, and the shutter works, but I don't know how accurate it is. My guess would be to get it CLA'd, but I also need a lens board for my Century.

Does anybody have any suggestions as to where to get the CLA done and where to go to get a lens board? Does anybody here offer this type of service? I am of the belief that the Synchro Compur shutter is a #00, as it is a lot smaller than my #0 shutters. Also, that is what the Vintage section of the Schneider site says it is.

Any suggestions are welcome,
Steven
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look and you will find.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Graflex-Lens-board-for-cameras-2-1-4-x-3-1-4-inches-/181852001764?hash=item2a573955e4

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Graflex-Lens-board-for-cameras-2-1-4-x-3-1-4-inches-/181852001764?hash=item2a573955e4

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Graflex-Lens-Board-for-Pacemaker-2x3-or-Century-Graphic-31-32-24-5mm-hole-/171916350639?hash=item28070354af

www.mpex.com used to carry them, asking is cheap.

www.skgrimes.com has them predrilled for #00

Where to look for service? Depends on where you are. You might ask Carol Flutot Miller at flutotscameraservice.com what she can do for you. She's in Whittier.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Graflex.org Site Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: