Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Early Kalart adjustment

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Other Graflex Camera Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
12voltdc

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:22 pm    Post subject: Early Kalart adjustment Reply with quote

Hi all, I am new here and happy for the opportunity to learn. I recently bought a Burke and James Press camera. Its in working condition but the very early Kalart is out of wack. I found the instructions here for the adjustment but need some clarification. From this page, https://graflex.org/speed-graphic/kalart-adjustment.html I see the instructions, my question is can I get a little more detail? Under the heading "Setting up the rangefinder" the first 5 instructions seem to want me to adjust the actuation shaft two times in different ways, I dont understand. In the 7th paragraph under the same heading it says to adjust the " lateral coincidence adjustment", I dont know what this is or where to find it. In the 4th paragraph it says "the slider should be midway in its slots", it appears to be spring loaded and travels as far as the bellows will go to the stops. Mine is a very early Kalar with the adjustable scales on the front and back of the aluminum cover. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it the Type F or the bottom actuated?
https://graflex.org/helpboard/viewtopic.php?t=6684
12voltdc

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears to be, the only difference I see from your Flickr pics is the the slide foot, mine also has an adjustable dog leg as mentioned in the instructions.
This should show you 3 pics of my camera https://www.flickr.com/photos/140340017@N07/
Thank you for the reply, I wasnt sure anyone would go for these rookie questions.[/img]
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a type F Kalart.
With the rails set fully retracted or forward .040± .010 inch from fully retracted set the front standard so that the lens is in sharp focus with the aperture wide open on a target 5000 feet or more as seen on the ground glass. (The moon makes an excellent infinity target)
Rails fully retracted-infinity at a fixed point until infinity stops slip or wear in the focus pinion causes a shift in the infinity point.
Rails forward of fully retracted- allows one to focus past infinity then back to infinity in the event of infinity point shift.
Ensure the front standard remains square to the bed/rails when locked down at the infinity set point.

Point the RF window at the same target used for infinity point setting and adjust the screw at or near the bed hinge in the RF coupling arm until the image is in coincidence.

Using https://graflex.org/speed-graphic/kalart-manual.html (download a better copy at https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1sPJkp-Mdghc0FwQkRuWEhFZEE/view?usp=sharing )
The infinity adjustment is shown on page 6.
Using the rear scale preform the 15 /25 foot adjustment.
Recheck infinity then recheck the 15/25 foot adjustment if infinity changed.
Adjust the 4 to 8 foot adjustment then recheck infinity, 15/25 foot and 4/8 foot adjustments.
Use the front scale for the 4 to 8 foot adjustment.
Adjustment is complete when all adjustments stay.
If the RF is slow to move from one distance to another or is otherwise difficult to adjust disassemble it, clean all moving parts, apply a trace of white lithium grease or similar light weight grease (too much acts like glue) to the moving surfaces and a trace of light machine oil to the pivots. 3in1 oil is not a good oil for cameras nor is WD40. Clock oil, gun oil, TriFlow all work well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Other Graflex Camera Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: