Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which 2x3 GRAFLEX?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Other Graflex Camera Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joey Anchors

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I have been doing research on the different roll backs and like the idea behind the Adapt-a-roll. Did these only come in 6x9 and where should I look to buy one (besides Ebay)
1banjo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

will 6x9 YES & NO they had a short dark slide that you put in
to give you a 6x6
Joey Anchors

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

banjo so are you saying they can shoot both 6x9 and 6x6 or just 6x6? I just did an Evilbay search and they seem hard to find for 2x3. I really like the idea of not taking off the GG to shoot a roll, but it does look like it gets in the way of the flash unit
1banjo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no if you wont it to be 6x6 you need to shot hole roll as 6x6
AND you need to use the long dark slide when you take the
adapt-a-roll out of the camera
and it 620 film witch is the same size as 120 BUT smaller spools
it don't missup you the flash but its close
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As banjo said, the Adapt-A-Roll 620's native format is 2.25" x 3.25" (6x9 is a half-assed metric approximation, actual size is 56 or 57 mm x 81 or 82 mm) but it can shoot 2.25" x 2.75" (6x7 is another metric approximation) with the help of a short dark slide. Careful attention to the frame counter (advance film 3 clicks for 6x7, 4 clicks for 6x9) and to the dark slides will let you mix formats on the same roll. 6X6 isn't possible with an AAR, but 645 is (advance film 2 clicks, needs a special dark slide that you'll have to make). Remember, 645 is half frame 6x9.

AAR-620s were made to fit 2x3, 3x4, and 4x5 press cameras. All sizes have the same internals and all shoot, preferably, 6x9. Sorry, 2.25" x 3.25".

Read the Speed Graphic FAQ on this site. I wrote the section on the AAR 620.

AAR 620s in all sizes turn up on eBay, but they're not abundant. You just have to wait and look and be patient. Google once found a 3x4 for me when I thought I needed a parts AAR 620. Wretched thing was too good to use for parts so I sold it.

Google just found a 2x3 Crown with 101 Ektar and AAR on sfbay.craigslist for an absurd price. I just looked, saw three 4x5s on eBay. They're around, you just have to be patient.

If you want instant gratification, shop for modern gear, not antiques.
Joey Anchors

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Dan and Banjo! I am just seeing which way to go with all these film back choices. I do like the idea of the AAR system and get both 2.25" x 3.25" and 2.25" x 2.75" shots on the same roll of film.

Dan can you explain how that process would work to which from a 2.25 x 3.25 to a 2.25 x 2.75.

What I am trying to plan out is how I will be using each frame set, what shots I will want to use the ground glass with tripod, and so on.
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joey Anchors wrote:
thanks Dan and Banjo! I am just seeing which way to go with all these film back choices. I do like the idea of the AAR system and get both 2.25" x 3.25" and 2.25" x 2.75" shots on the same roll of film.

Dan can you explain how that process would work to which from a 2.25 x 3.25 to a 2.25 x 2.75.

What I am trying to plan out is how I will be using each frame set, what shots I will want to use the ground glass with tripod, and so on.
To begin, understand that when using an AAR composing on 6x7 has to be done on a masked groundglass or on a groundglass marked to show the part of the AAR's gate that is exposed when the short darkslide is inserted.

Ok, here we go. Film is loaded to frame 1 -5 clicks (tape just visible at far end of gate), long dark slide that covers the whole gate is in.

If frame one is to be 6x9, advance film 5 clicks, focus, compose, ..., pull dark slide (long), shoot, reinsert dark slide (long). If frame one is to be 6x7, advance film 4 clicks, focus, compose, ..., pull dark slide (long), insert short dark slide, shoot, pull short dark slide, insert long dark slide.

If the next frame is to be 6x9, advance film 4 clicks, focus, compose, ..., pull dark slide (long), shoot, reinsert dark slide (long). If next frame is to be 6x7, advance film 3 clicks, focus, compose, ..., pull dark slide (long), insert short dark slide, shoot, reinsert long darkslide.

And so on. I always reinsert the darkslide after taking a shot. Always. Saves problems.

The alternative is to get a 6x9 roll holder that attaches to a Graflok and a 6x7 one, carry both, use the one that better fits what you want to do when you want to take a shot. With 6x7 and 6x6 roll holders that attach to a Graflok, the holder's gate is centered in the body's gate. This makes composing with the tubular and sports viewfinders much easier than composing for 6x7 with an AAR.

Or, always shoot 6x9 and crop as needed. This is what I do.

You are thinking too much. Don't plan, go out and shoot and gain equipment proficiency. Find out what works for you by trying the alternatives. Trying things out beats thinking about them.
Joey Anchors

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan I can't thank you enough to taking the time to explain all this. The problem I am trying to avoid is the need to take the GG off to change from one frame size to another at a huge packed car event (and most of the time dirty) I will probably end up with using a Grafmatic for my really important shots (GG/tripod shots) and then a 6x6 or 6x7 roll-back for the detail hand-held shots
Joey Anchors

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I just received delivery of my Century and its in brand new condition! It also looks like it has the Graftar 103mm 4.5f lens
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joey Anchors wrote:
Dan I can't thank you enough to taking the time to explain all this. The problem I am trying to avoid is the need to take the GG off to change from one frame size to another at a huge packed car event (and most of the time dirty) I will probably end up with using a Grafmatic for my really important shots (GG/tripod shots) and then a 6x6 or 6x7 roll-back for the detail hand-held shots
The Century Graphic has a Graflok back. With a Graflok, changing roll holders is simple and easy. Note that modern roll holders that attach to the Graflok replace the focusing panel. Swapping focusing panel and roll holder or one roll holder for another isn't a big deal.
Henry

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joey Anchors wrote:

As has been stated, if you use roll film holders you will have to take the gg off to mount the roll holder. If you use Grafmatic or cut film holders, you won't. Simple as that. If you plan on changing frame sizes, why not get ahold of one each of the three "standard" formats of Graphic roll holders (6x6, 6x7, 6x9), load 'em up with 120 films, and interchange them as desired on the job? Of course, if you need the pix right away, you'll either have to shoot up entire rolls, or waste any remaining film. Your choice.
Joey Anchors

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry that is probably the way I will end up going is with the three roll back styles. Oh I didn't notice with my Kalart RF that it won't focus on anything passed (or closer I should say) the 4 foot mark. Which is to say that if I am closer than 4 feet from the subject the RF can't came to focus, but when looking through the GG I can get it to focus no problem. Is that just the limit of the Kalart finder?
Henry

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As to the Kalart, I think 4 ft. is about it. But I haven't checked mine in a while.

Joey, right now on the 'bay there's an RH10 at a good price (incl. shipping): http://www.ebay.com/itm/Graflex-Graphic-RH-10-6x7-10-Exp-Film-Back-Used-Exc-/150741111200?pt=US_Film_Backs_Holders&hash=item2318ded1a0#ht_3974wt_1165
1banjo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Joey
you can get 6 different size of roll film holders!!
RB67 have a 35mm, a 35mm widepen,
(the 35mm I have never seen but they made them)
645, 6x6, & 6x7.
Suydam made one that could be used as a 645
or as a 6x6 & then a 6x9 Not all at the same time
just the one you set it for!!
Graflex had a 22 thats a 6x6
a 23 thats a 6x9
those are the older ones then they added in rollers
they are the RH's
RH12 for 6x6 as you get 12 shots
RH10 for 6x7 as you get 10 shots
RH20 a 6x7 on 220 film giving you 20 shots
RH8 for 6x9 with 8 shots
And Horseman has 6x7, 6x9 and maybe also in 220 film ?
then the Adapt-A-Roll
but there is a Busch pressman slide in that I have never
seen one of to know what it turely is to know!!!!
Joey Anchors

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for that link Henry! I put it on my "watch list"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Other Graflex Camera Help All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: