Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Extreme ignorance looking for help.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Other Graflex Camera Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill O.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 12:39 pm    Post subject: Extreme ignorance looking for help. Reply with quote

Right off allow me to explain I'm not a particularly rational person.

Some time ago, 5 or 10 years, I acquired 2 or 3 Crown Graphics, along with an assortment of accessories - for no other reason than I had a thought, at the time, I can't explain why as I wasn't even a photographer, of any sort.

Recently, though, my interest in photography has blossomed and I've enjoyed some meager success as such.

I'm interested in all aspects of photography, having one time sealed off my den to experience a "camera obscura" - to the chagrin of family & friends.

Currently I'm capturing landscapes, as opposed to portraits. I've a Canon 5d mark II w/lenses and a really nice Canon printer, however, I'd like to experience the large format.

Therein lies the problem: I can open the camera and fiddle w/all the parts but I haven't the vaguest idea about film, or even if I can get the stuff to work as I don't see any method of power utilization.

Comments, or a little direction, perhaps some information would be very appreciated. Thanks.
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go here http://www.largeformatphotography.info and read the FAQs. You might want to register on the forum (Questions and Answers forum) and ask question there. Most of the posters are friendly.

You might want to buy a book or two. For one, Steve Simmons' Using the View Camera. Graphics aren't view cameras but they're in that family.

Quote:

I don't see any method of power utilization.

You provide the power. These cameras are entirely manual.

Good luck, have fun,

Dan
C. Henry

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill;

Since you are on Long Island you should be able to find a "Camera Club" near (within a half hour drive) you unless you are on the extreme East End.
The members of those clubs will usually include at least one "old timer" who can help you with your Crown Graphic cameras.
I moved off the Island twenty years ago and at that time was a member of the Bay Area Photo Club that met in the East Islip Library.
Check the meetings listings in Newsday and your local weekly newspapers.

C. Henry
45PSS

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/graflex_5.html for the Side Rangefinder version or http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/graflex_4.html for the Top Rangefinder version will tell you how to operate the camera.

Film type and availability will depend on the format size of the camera.
Open the ground glass cover called the View Hood and measure the ground glass and round up to the nearest format size.
Bill O.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:43 am    Post subject: Extreme ignorance Reply with quote

Excellent suggestions and direction. I've already ordered a couple books. Although I must admit, as I'm comfortable being a "loner", I'm not terribly fond of "club" joining. However, I think "Graflex.org" will be very beneficial - it already has. Many thanks for the replies.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Other Graflex Camera Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: