Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Red Plastic Frame Viewer in Bag Mag - Safe?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Other Graflex Camera Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spacegoose

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:39 am    Post subject: Red Plastic Frame Viewer in Bag Mag - Safe? Reply with quote

I loaded my cut film magazine (Efke 100) and on checking to see the number noticed there wasn't one showing - I loaded the septums backwards (film side facing window). Did I fog this or more frames? I checked by opening the spring loaded little door using the light from a reading lamp for 2 - 3 seconds.

Thanks,
sg
C. Henry

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SG;

The "red window" was safe only for the old orthochromic black & white films of over a half century ago not for either color or modern panchromatic black & white films. While I am not familiar with Efke 100 I would be a bit surprised if it is not a "pan" B & W film.
On the basis of that I would assume that you did fog at least that sheet of film. As to the other frames, it depends on how light tight the magazine is between septums.
Hopefully someone with more experience with both Efke 100 and the same film magazine you use than I will see your post and respond.

C. Henry
spacegoose

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I guess I will find out

The septums in my bag mag are not great specimens and are a little warped here and there.

Although Efke still makes some orthochromatic film (25 ORT) - Efke 100 is indeed panchromatic.
45PSS

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fogging will be a spot about the size of the window between zone 1 and zone 4 exposure level unless the red covering is faded then the exposure will be higher. As for other sheets, very doubtful unless the inside black coating of the film box is gone.
spacegoose

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that info. The black inside (and outside) the film box has gone.

It is now a sort of gray.
45PSS

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might have fogged the edge of a few other sheets but its doubtful. Even the warped septums forced flat due to the lack of space.

You can paint it flat black inside with a good aerosol paint.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Other Graflex Camera Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: