Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Early Pacemaker?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scribo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:33 pm    Post subject: Early Pacemaker? Reply with quote

First-time poster, which makes sense since I am a new first-time owner. I picked up the camera below through from the usual auction site, from an antique dealer who knew nothing about the camera; price was correspondingly low. Seems I got lucky: everything is in good shape, including the focal plane shutter.

I think this is an early model Pacemaker, from the late 1940s or early 50s. Can anyone confirm that, or correct me? The serial number on the Optar is 458xxx, if that's any help.

Also, I think I have the rear shutter figured out... except that I'm not sure of the function of the flat sliding button in the close-up. Can anyone help with that?

Many thanks.

EDIT: Looks like the lack of chrome means that this is a wartime Anniversary. I also notice that there are no flip-up infinity stops, and the lensboard of wood rather than metal... which would rule out Pacemaker, I think.

C. Henry

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scribo;

Your Speed Graphic is definitely NOT a Pacemaker. You can approximate the year of manufacture by comparing the Serial Number of your camera (not the lens serial number) with the "Not the Serial Number book list...But" post about ten posts from the top of the "Serial Number Savy" forum. The serial number of your camera body should be on the inside of the top of the body or possibly but not likely on a tag on the inside of the drop bed and be six digits long.
As to the purpose of the flat sliding button, that will have to be answered by someone familiar with pre-Pacemaker units.

C. Henry
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations, you have a very nice Anniversary speed Graphic. With the front standard inside the camera body turn the camera upside down and look at the bottom of the camera top and record the serial number that is ink stamped there then go the the Not the serial number book list found in the serial number savy section of this site to get an approximate date of manifacture.

Store the camera with the shutter tension set to 1.
pv17vv

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The button blocks the trigger, preventing unwanted pic. Unblocks manually, or automatically when you cock the shutter with the butterfly handle.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: