Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions/problems for the Heiland Strobonar 64-B

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Flash Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Tanegashima



Joined: 25 Sep 2026
Posts: 3
Location: New York, NY

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2026 2:31 am    Post subject: Questions/problems for the Heiland Strobonar 64-B Reply with quote

I got a Strobonar 64-B recently and while the ready light seems to turn on quickly with a fresh set of batteries, the flash doesn't fire. It does seem to go off every once in a while while shorting the sync cord or sometimes pressing the shutter but otherwise doesn't consistently go off when I trip the shutter. I'm guessing the capacitor needs to be recharged with the AC charger but is there any other possible problem that might need to be fixed?

Additionally, I've been looking for the OEM AC charger for the Strobonar 64-B but I can't seem to find one anywhere. Will the charger for the Strobonar 65 work for the 64?

Many thanks in advance.


Edit - clarifications as I find more about the situation as I keep playing with the flash

Second edit - it seems like it just takes a very long time for the capacitor to charge which is odd given that when I first replaced the batteries it charged in about 15 seconds.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Henry



Joined: 09 May 2001
Posts: 1661
Location: Allentown, Pennsylvania

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2026 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a link to the owner's manual: https://www.propology.ca/c/products/honeywell-heiland-strobonar-model-64b-electronic-flash

If you're charging D cells, it would seem that any off-the-shelf charger would do. Or am I missing something here?

LATER: looks to me like the "AC charger" is a zip cord (lamp wire) with a two-prong male plug at one end, to connect to the flash socket, and another male plug on the other end, to connect to a 120 volt power source, like a wall socket. Evidently the plug orientation doesn't matter. You could easily get up such rig, as described, from standard hardware store items.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tanegashima



Joined: 25 Sep 2026
Posts: 3
Location: New York, NY

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2026 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link to the owner's manual, I've been using a similar copy but it hasn't been much help apart from it stating that I should be charging the capacitor since it's probably been more than a month since it was last used.

I'm talking about using an AC cord to directly charge the capacitor in the flash and not the D cells, which are just amazon brand Alkaline cells.

I've been asking around locally to see if anyone's giving away a charger cord that might fit (since I've seen people state on this forum that a Norelco razor charger works).

Edit - somewhat unrelated but I'm seeing that when I trip the shutter when the ready light is on (and not flashing), it goes out for like half a second and then comes back on again.


Last edited by Tanegashima on Sat Sep 26, 2026 10:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Henry



Joined: 09 May 2001
Posts: 1661
Location: Allentown, Pennsylvania

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2026 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean something like this? https://shaveroutlet.com/philips-norelco-replacement-charging-cord-for-select-models.html?fee=18&fep=1928&msclkid=63e567f7695a112dd2680d4f2f0b158f&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=ShaverOutlet%20Bing%20Shopping&utm_term=1100000722166&utm_content=All%20Products

What is the configuration of the socket on the flash?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tanegashima



Joined: 25 Sep 2026
Posts: 3
Location: New York, NY

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2026 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's pretty much it.

The socket looks like this:
https://i.imgur.com/8XfCjYq.jpeg

I tried throwing in a new set of batteries and it seems like the flash charges properly for maybe the first 4-5 shots and then refuses to fire again.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Henry



Joined: 09 May 2001
Posts: 1661
Location: Allentown, Pennsylvania

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2026 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The listed charge cord is 10 bucks, shipping to New York adds 5-6 bucks, plus sales tax, you're looking at around 20 total.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Henry



Joined: 09 May 2001
Posts: 1661
Location: Allentown, Pennsylvania

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2026 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need to know the rated input voltage for the AC recharge port on the Strobonar. Looks like the Norelco chargers I've seen on line have either 5 volt or 15 volt outputs.; there may be other values, too. My original idea about plugging directly to 120 household socket, feeding 120 to the flash, is obviously incorrect!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Flash Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group