Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Free Graphic Press & View Camera Book @ Google Books

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FarmPhoto

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:49 am    Post subject: Free Graphic Press & View Camera Book @ Google Books Reply with quote

The Navy Training Course "Photographers Mate 3 & 2" is available for reading on line at:

https://www.google.com/books/edition/_/0-uv8VmxlJkC?hl=en&gbpv=1

There is an enormous amount of photographic information including chapters on the Graphic Press and Graphic View cameras. One of the best books ever for these great cameras.
GerWP

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 11:46 am    Post subject: Graflex view info Reply with quote

Thanks to FarmPhoto for this cite to wonderful information for the view cameras.

I wrote the view camera articles 20 years ago, and used what I could find at the time. The images of the cameras in my articles are images of some of my cameras. Some of them are displayed in our living room. I still adore the wonderful cameras. I highly recommend reading the info at FarmPhoto's citation for some great reading.

The info in my old article remains accurate, but more info has been posted on the view cameras since my article. For a while, my article was the only real source for info. I wrote it because it was needed. In it, I jokingly said that the carrying case was made of a "mysterious" substance called "Vulcanoid." It was just a mysterious name that Graflex used. Subsequent articles by others have parroted the "mysterious" nature of "Vulcanoid." ! We info nerds lean on each other, and my attempted joke has fostered the continued use of the adjective. Oops! Have fun!

Best to all!

Gerald (gerwp)
GerWP

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2020 11:47 am    Post subject: Graflex view info Reply with quote

Thanks to FarmPhoto for this cite to wonderful information for the view cameras.

I wrote the view camera articles 20 years ago, and used what I could find at the time. The images of the cameras in my articles are images of some of my cameras. Some of them are displayed in our living room. I still adore the wonderful cameras. I highly recommend reading the info at FarmPhoto's citation for some great reading.

The info in my old article remains accurate, but more info has been posted on the view cameras since my article. For a while, my article was the only real source for info. I wrote it because it was needed. In it, I jokingly said that the carrying case was made of a "mysterious" substance called "Vulcanoid." It was just a mysterious name that Graflex used. Subsequent articles by others have parroted the "mysterious" nature of "Vulcanoid." ! We info nerds lean on each other, and my attempted joke has fostered the continued use of the adjective. Oops! Have fun!

Best to all!

Gerald (gerwp)
FarmPhoto

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 4:31 am    Post subject: Vulcanoid Reply with quote

GerWP,

I really enjoyed your article on the Graphic Views and appreciate the amount of effort that was required to gather, produce and document a complete history of these fine cameras at a very early date. Your article has stood the test of time very well and has preserved the rightful legacy of the Graphic View cameras for generations to come.

A huge contrast to what the forum and Facebook posts will be 20 years from now!

My 1948 View II is sitting 8' from me as I type this. I love looking at it and marvel at the technical features and beautiful look. It seems prices are rising on all graphic cameras as baby boomers rediscover film.

By the way I always figured "Vulcanoid" was from the same class of elements as Kryptonite. Maybe some one knows...
Henry

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could it be the same stuff that my Century is made of: "Mahoganite" ?
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2020 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mahoganite = bakelite, term used for synthetic resin and plastics.
Vulcanoid= a fiber board, similar to masonite but not as brittle.
GerWP

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not much happening on Graflex.org .
My reference to the "Vulcanoid" case in the View Camera article was attempted humor which does not travel well on the internet. It was strange for Graflex to come up with a name for the case material when no one would care what it was made of. "Vulcanoid!" Geez.
"Bakelite" and "mohaganite" were names used for the latest plastic in the early era of plastic products.
I was recently inspired to take my collection of Graflex cameras out of storage (air-conditioned!). It has been a long time since I've used film, and I miss it. I may reconstruct a darkroom after doing without for about eight years. What better way to hide from a virus than immersion in the photographic process? I may use my xl cameras to get restarted. I've never mastered any camera, but the xls have been not mastered even more than other cameras.
Be well, my Graflex, Graflok, Graphic, etc. friends. Life will be no better than you make it. Of course, I may be wrong.

Gerald
hsandler

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link to the google book. Also thanks to Gerald for the wonderful article on the Graflex view cameras. I bought a Graphic View II with Pacemaker to Anniversary adapter board a couple of years ago as a direct result of that article. I have been having a great time making images with it, and even wrote a little piece for the Graflex Journal about it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> View Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: