Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Want to buy a century graphic for street shots (first grafle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Other Graflex Camera Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jusxusfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:19 am    Post subject: Want to buy a century graphic for street shots (first grafle Reply with quote

Want to buy a century graphic for street shots (first graflex)

So I'm planning on buying a century graphicgraphic for street shots with a 6x9 back atm, a good choice? Since it's small and light. Thanks
jusxusfanatic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or a crown
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to eBay.
Henry

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whichever you choose (I have a Century), be sure it has the Kalart rangefinder! Especially if you'll be hand-holding for "street shots." (BTW, I find the so-called "sports finder/wire finder" that pulls up from on top of the the front standard to give a fair approximation of what the film "sees," esp. if you're shooting 6x9, but OTOH the optical finder accessory on top of the camera case is virtually useless, in my experience. N.B.: neither of these items is a focussing aid.)

Another bit of advice: Don't Overpay! I've seen some ridiculously high prices for the Century. Consider what comes with the kit: what lens(es), whether a roll film back is included (highly recommended over cut film holders!), and, importantly, try to get the folding focussing hood with ground glass. I often see Centurys offered without the back panel, and if you want to shoot from a tripod you'll need this feature.

I'd look for something in the $200-300 range, depending on what's included. With patience and searching, you could probably do better. Good luck with your quest!
jusxusfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I might get a baby crown aka 2x3 crown? OF course I'm gonna buy one with a kalart rangefinder!
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, yes, if you buy a camera with a roll holder, make sure that the focusing panel is included. Impossible to calibrate the RF without a focusing panel, impossible to use lenses other than the one the RF is calibrated for.
Henry

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to have my opinion backed by so competent an authority, Dan! (see my post above
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry, please accept my apologies for not acknowledging your comment.

I'm tired of hearing poor souls complain that their newly-purchased Century doesn't have a focusing panel. We can't warn them often enough. Focusing panels for 2x3 Graphic's Graflok backs aren't always easy to find and are rarely cheap.

Better to get a complete camera without a roll holder and buy a roll holder when and as a nice one comes available. They're much easier to find than focusing panels and are often less expensive.

Absent focusing panels seem to afflict Centuries more than 2x3 Crowns and Speeds.
Henry

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apology accepted, Dan. But really none was needed (or expected!). I have great respect for your knowledge and experience in these matters.

Happy New Year!

Henry
Steve Law

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:59 pm    Post subject: Want help with my range finder for my Century Reply with quote

Hi,

This looks like the place to find out how to calibrate the range finder on my Century. However, the arm that moves the range finder is loose and I don't have any idea how to attach it to the finder.

Is there anybody out there, and it looks like there is, that can help me.

Steven
Billy Canuck

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the OP: I'm with Henry -- I've used a 2x3 Pacemaker Crown for years and always use the frame finder rather than the squinty optical finder. It's more accurate for me, and has the advantage of allowing framing with both eyes open.
I may be wrong, but the Century generally seems to command a higher price than the Crown. If you go for a Crown, make sure it's a later model with the universal back, which allows the use of rollfilm holders. The earliest models usually come with a spring back, which does not.
Just in case you've never used a viewfinder camera, make sure your eye is directly behind the peephole so you look at the subject in a straight line parallel to the side of the camera!
Henry

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:00 am    Post subject: Re: Want help with my range finder for my Century Reply with quote

Steve Law wrote:
Hi,

This looks like the place to find out how to calibrate the range finder on my Century. However, the arm that moves the range finder is loose and I don't have any idea how to attach it to the finder.

Is there anybody out there, and it looks like there is, that can help me.

Steven

This may help: https://lommen9.home.xs4all.nl/kalart/new.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Other Graflex Camera Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: