Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

shutter realease thread repair?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Les

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put out an APB to Grimes and a repair network. So far no luck but it's early.

Les
RichS

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it looked threaded... I only found out after I got the 3 inch release extender they sell for such applications. I screwed it in and when I went to put the shutter back in the baord it poped out. After the investigation, I gave it a _good_ twist in and it stayed. But I'm sure a decent yank on the cable and it would loosen up or pop out again. Of course I could easily epoxy the cable into place but that would take the fun out of finding the tap

And no, I never thought of contacting Grimes. Good idea, and thanks Les

But don't worry. I'l have a hundred or so made and then wind up selling them off at alf what I paid for them We'll see next week if that company responds to my query?

Les

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gotten several replies back, and they fall into two catagories.

A) let me know what you find, I"ve been looking too

and

B) just replace the part its easier

Which doesn't explain how the new parts are made if nobody will admit to having a tap.

RichS

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-06-01 09:58, Les wrote:
I've gotten several replies back, and they fall into two catagories.

A) let me know what you find, I"ve been looking too

and

B) just replace the part its easier

Which doesn't explain how the new parts are made if nobody will admit to having a tap.

This is turning out on the funny side

I haven't heard from the tap manufacturer yet, but it was a holiday weekend.

I had another thought, of zerk (grease) fitting on cars. But the tapered ones are the wrong size & thread. But there is a tap available for them!...

So, just for the heck of it, I'll pursue the manufacturers a bit more. There must be more than one out there even though all the ones I found actually go back to the same manufacturer...
t.r.sanford

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently, the mixed bag of "special" threads still subsumed under a recognized U.S. standard includes 50-tpi x 3/32-in. Eyeballing the end of a cable release and a steel ruler suggests that this might work, if the object were simply to thread a cylindrical hole. Such a tap ought to be available from somebody.

But what I do not understand is how one can cut threads inside a tapered hole too small to accommodate a boring-bar. I think this, rather than finding a tap of the appropriate pitch and diameter, is the really interesting question.

Might not an 0.5mm. thread work, more or less, for the relatively few turns needed to secure the release tip into the socket?
Dave

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think anyone's said this obvious thing yet-- did I miss it? Flame away if I'm stating the obvious.

You probably want to avoid screwing and unscrewing a cable tip in a tight space on a recessed board. You need one of those angled adapters for a recessed board. You can get them in different shapes-- I used to have one with about a 60degree bend (1.05 radians). It had a pivot in it, so it would swing around freely. You can find one for like ten bucks on ebay, or get it retail from Calumet or whoever.

The advantage of this is you only have to fasten the adapter once, and it becomes your new shutter release socket. If you can jam it on even cross-threaded (or carefully glued?!), it buys you a decade or two before you have to think about it again.
t.r.sanford

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those fittings are very useful. I, too, have the pivoting kind, as well as one that describes a 90° turn in a short radius. I vaguely recall buying mine from Porter's, ten or fifteen years ago...

...but gluing something into a shutter is not the same as repairing the shutter. I still would like to know how the Devil they cut threads on the inside of a tapered cylinder; and, if a tool is available for doing it, I want one!
RichS

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No flames today

But it was mentioned up there somewhere that this particular shutter has a flexible 3 inch extension screwed into it. The hard, angled adapters are larger and wound't fit in the small space of this shutter/board combo. The flexible extension has a much smaller tip to screw into the shutter, and just barely fits...

I think we'll either find a source for this tap, or have one made! It's more of a quest now!
Rangemaster

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found my tap, but it will not work in the tapered thread hole, I used it on a couple of straight holes that I have in a couple of shutters, but after fooling around it is the wrong one for a taper..

One other idea, I talked with a clock maker here locally and he said he used to use a taper tap, very simular to the ones like we have in shutters for some of his clock making, so that might be another avenue to pursue, find an old fashion clock maker.

Dave
clnfrd

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you guys have already done a Google search for tapered tap and come up with stuff like this:

http://www.knifeandgun.com/catalog/taps_186652_products.htm
RichS

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2004-06-02 05:32, clnfrd wrote:
I assume you guys have already done a Google search for tapered tap and come up with stuff like this:

http://www.knifeandgun.com/catalog/taps_186652_products.htm

Without a doubt, and your example was one of my favorites

Part of the problem is that a "tapered tap" usually means the type of cutting tip, not a true taper in the threads. They switch meanings when talking about pipe threads which are really tapered threads. So when someone says "tapered tap", more explanation is needed...

The other problem is size and we've discussed that before. Finding a 50tpi tap seems unlikely... But there's still hope...
clnfrd

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, yes!! The old tapered pipe threads! I should have suspected as much. Fred.
clnfrd

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is still an interesting question. Is it possible that the piece with the tapered, threaded hole was actually cast rather than drilled and tapped?

[ This Message was edited by: clnfrd on 2004-06-04 04:10 ]
RichS

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought about casting. But to extend that, to make the mold, they would need a die to create the original. For the die, you need a tap I could be wrong and maybe they never did exist, but there are just so many different objects with these threads. Almost every single shutter and camera ever made for over 50 years. There must have been some kind of repair tool. You can still go down to a local auto store and buy a thread repair tool for tire valves and how often are those damaged? I have to send off another e-mail to the tap manufacturer...

clnfrd

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2004 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think T.R. has the right idea...replace the cable release socket. If a tap does exist...it being conical in shape...it would bind after less than one turn....same as the cable release threads do when threaded into the socket.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Lenses Help All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: