Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need help with a wartime speed.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Les

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay time to turn the tables and do some asking for a change. I just aquired what I thought was a common, almost dreary looking black trimmed Anniversary speed, which I assumed to be a common Wartime Speed.

The reason for my interest was that it had a Wollensak Anastigmat in a Kodak Supermatic No2 shutter-- a great example of what can happen when supplies get tight and things still need to ship out.

Now that I have it in hand, things have gotten much more odd. At the end of the post are two links to photos. Be warned, these are large files (the first is 461K and the second is over 200k)

The first page shows the mystery camera on the right and a 1940 Ann on the left (you may have to scroll to see both) used for comparason. The second is a long strip of photos of the mystery speed showing its oddities.

The first thing that strikes me is that the black paint is wrinkle finish. I thought wartime speeds were smooth finish.

Second is the quality of the finish. Most of the wrinkle finish Graflex did was extremely fine, this is medium to coarse finish.

Third, are the numbers 0 and 1 and a black square that didn't go wrinkle under the paint on the bed. Within this smooth black square, there are lots of scratches under the paint, part of the paint tried to go wrinkle and it almost makes out a character, Maybe an R or a B or an 8.

This almost certainly establishes this as a repaint, either by a previous owner or a good camera shop.

But does it? I look deeper.... The struts are smooth black paint, but have no chrome under neath. Same is true with the focus rails on the bed, the finder mask, and part of the front standard that's normally chrome is left bare brass, along with the rivets!.

Most of the chrome trim on the focal plane shutter mechanism is missing (everything is painted but I checked the the shutter release lever and the winding knob and its brass under the paint).

Also things got painted wrinkle that a previous owner wouldn't take the time to paint, like the slotted sheetmetal pieces in the body that hold the struts, the back focus rails and the rangefinder eccentric, the viewfinder (which is aluminum under wrinkle paint), and the release tab for the ground glass cover in the back.

Now it's one thing to 'fancy up' your Speed with paint, but removing the chrome plating (or not having it on their to begin with) is something only done at the factory.

There's also something "not quite right' with what little chrome is left. If there's a war on, and you can't chrome anything, why is it that the rail lock lever, and the four screws that hold the lensboard rail on are chrome? The screws that hold the shutter release lever and the tension release lever are also chrome. Left over supply? The fact that this has all that shiny chrome pretty much eliminates this as a Gov issue camera.

Lastly the shutter. Maybe my memory is flailing (and failing) but I thought black Supermatics were ALL black including the shutter speed ring.

The solenoid is RIVETED to a smooth-black-painted piece of sheet metal that mounts between the lens and the lensboard and there's a very fancy number "20" rubber stamped on the front face. What's THAT all about?

Okay now the questions.

Can anybody post or email me pics of their wartime speed? what (if anything) is chrome on it? Is there any wrinkle paint? Do you know when it was made? Serial number?

Does anybody have a black Supermatic and does it have a black shutter ring?

BTW the Chrome Anny has serial number 296940 with an original 1940 Ektar on it, and the mystery camera has serial number 303348

Cross your fingers, here are the links.

http://home.twmi.rr.com/lnphoto/wartime1.jpg

http://home.twmi.rr.com/lnphoto/wartime2a.jpg

[ This Message was edited by: Les on 2002-09-03 21:25 ]
bertsaunders

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Les...the paint is obviously a home brewed wrinkle finish...but the example in Paine pg 65/66 (think the descriptions are reversed, and are next to the wrong photos)No 349187 says it has "black crackle finish"! Chrome trim is on that one...both cameras show the same lens features as yours....every wartime speed I have seen has had smooth black paint,(some even had Kaki (olive drab, as it was later called) colored leather and paint)) I repaired 2 Ann models (both from about the 1944 period), that had the tension plate and the curtain plate painted the same as the
>Pace governor plates<
were painted, but not like yours!! Those numbers on the bed look like >OR< to me. Maybe for
ORDINANCE CO.????
It looks Gov. issue to me, and I am sure that early in the war, a lot of the chrome was put on hurryup Gov. contracted cameras! I have a Ann body that has the struts painted w/smooth flat black paint w/no chrome underneath (and this was not off of a typical wartime model)most early Anns had >brass rails<(painted black)..I reciently bought a Ann that had painted >alum rails<, and >chromed< linked yoke. Could probably find models with surplus un-linked yokes also if you looked hard enough! As for the strut guides inside the body...I >almost always< paint them flat black, even when not restoring, just trying to dress a camera up a bit! Surplus parts, for your guide locks/ inf stops/easy to remove paint from the winding knob and plate, I have several that I have left polished brass!
Looks to me like.....the General ordered the supply sargent to paint everything black, that wasnt already painted that way, and a poor buck private did all the painting! And remember, practically everything on these cameras is inter-changable...1945 is a long time ago, and many parts could have been changed in 57 years, I find it a -necessity-........ when trying to restore these old beauties!!!
Bert

[ This Message was edited by: bertsaunders on 2002-09-03 23:45 ]

[ This Message was edited by: bertsaunders on 2002-09-03 23:52 ]

[ This Message was edited by: bertsaunders on 2002-09-04 19:39 ]
jdman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have what I thought was a wartime 4x5. S/N 350679. Has a black Supermatic with Ektar 127mm ER7303 lens in it. It has the crinkle finish on the door and inside the body, as well as the rear shutter control. But..there is a bright trim around the body, and the focus knobs are bright. Also has a wood lens board. The cocker and shutter release are bright other wise the shutter is black. Has Graflok back, and I have changed the front with a Pacemaker so I could have tilt. Don't know if this rambling will do you any good. Russ
Gandolf

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The serial dates it to Oct of '41 and part of a batch of only 36. No not the 10th the 12th. I'd bet money this camera was in the shop Dec 7, '41.

Here's another strange twist. Most Wartime Speeds start showing up about 10 months and several thousand Speed Graphics later.

Maybe Graflex knew something the public didn't? Maybe Uncle Sam was looking to fill a contract with some special Speeds and these (this batch?) were finish samples.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: