Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Infinity stops, focusing scale on bed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wlemann

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speed Graphic.
Lenses: 90 Prontar, 135 Schneider, 210 Caltar and 240 Schneder G Claron all mounted on proper boards.
My understanding: 210 and 240 focus only on ground glass using tripod. No use of infinity stops or scale on front of bed to left these two longer lenses.
90 and 135 calibrate the infinity stops for each lens and calibrate the scale on the bed by lining up the infinity marks on both sides.
Questions: Is what I have said above correct?
The instruction book indicates a need for different scales for each lens. Do I need a different scale for the 90 and 135 lenses?
Walter
45PSS

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you do. Graflex optically measured each lens and then machined a focusing scale for it, therefore there may be 4 or 5 different scales for any marked focal length.
Getting the percise one these days will be difficult. I have a marked 135, scale for a 132, and it's off 6 inches at minimun end of scale, less elsewhere.

wlemann

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2002 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what's more the 135 lens is not a graphic lens but a NEW schneider kreuznach. does this mean that there is no scale made for this lens?

with this i assume you remove both sides of the scale, right???
45PSS

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the scale(s) are a two piece assyembly.

It should not matter who or when the lens was made, at 1.5% production tolerance a 135 will range from 132.975mm to 137.025mm. Using pacemaker cam list as a guide (focus scales matched) Graflex had 5 or 6 ranging from 132mm to 138mm. http://graflex.org/speed-graphic/top-rangefinder-cams.html

Others on this site have a list of the focus scales numbers (they're on the bottom side of the scale). Using an existing set of scales as a guide, a tripod, and carefull measurement, one could make a scale set.

Charles

[ This Message was edited by: 45PSS on 2002-08-20 21:24 ]
Les

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2002 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now for a question you probably don't want to hear.

With the exception of having a camera "complete down to the last detail"
Why do you need focus scales? When you use your 35mm camera, do you ever guess focus estimating the distance and focus using the scales?

I have a Crown special with its original 135 scales, and I added a set for a 250mm. I've never used them once.

Now if you have a top rangefinder I can see scrounging for a cam.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: