Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2x3 Crown Questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wkatez

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a mint 2x3 Crown Graphic (1950) that I plan to use for scenics/landscapes using 6x9 and 6x7 roll film backs.

I purchased the camera with a 65mm f:/6.8 Schneider Angulon and was told this was the lens originally purchased with the camera. The camera has two focusing scales.

Here are my questions:
1. Was this camera originally sold with this lens?

2. Is it possible to set up the Kalart rangefinder so that it can focus two different lenses with different focusing rail stops?

3. I have just ordered a Schneider Xenotar f:/2.8 lens for this camera. Does anyone have experience with this camera/lens combination?

4. Was there a wide angle optical viewfinder available for the 65mm lens?

and, finally

5. Are little "levers"(???) available to attach to the 2x3 body release apparatus on the front standard that could be made to work with these lenses?

Thank you all in advance. I have learned and continue to learn quite a bit from these forums.

Wayne Katez

Les

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-08-07 18:01, wkatez wrote:
I have a mint 2x3 Crown Graphic (1950) that I plan to use for scenics/landscapes using 6x9 and 6x7 roll film backs.

I purchased the camera with a 65mm f:/6.8 Schneider Angulon and was told this was the lens originally purchased with the camera. The camera has two focusing scales.

Here are my questions:
1. Was this camera originally sold with this lens?

2. Is it possible to set up the Kalart rangefinder so that it can focus two different lenses with different focusing rail stops?

3. I have just ordered a Schneider Xenotar f:/2.8 lens for this camera. Does anyone have experience with this camera/lens combination?

and, finally

5. Are little "levers"(???) available to attach to the 2x3 body release apparatus on the front standard that could be made to work with these lenses?

Wayne Katez

1. Yes it could have been, but the second scale says there was another with it at one time, propbably a 'normal lens'
2. Nope Kalarts work with one lens at a time, and my guess is the 65 is too short

3. You don't say what lenght you have. The 80mm is the same as a Planar, and except for th T* coating it's the same as on a Hassy

4. There were two wide angle opticals, One is a one piece tubular affar that replaces the tubular finder you have now, the other was a drop in that fits in place of the mask.

Probably, talk to Fred Lustig or maybe Columbus camera, but my experience with body releases is that they leave a lot to be desired and get in the way when switching lenses.
wkatez

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, the Xenotar is 80mm.

Les

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It took me the better part of two years to get an 80 mated to a 2x3 Crown. I found out the hard way that the 80 planar won't fit in a 2x3 SPEED and have the door close, but it will close on a Century and now my Crown. I could get the Kalart to work with the 80 on up to about 10 feet. I suspect the shorter body of the Crown will help, but other projects have jumped in front.

Les

alecj

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think that 80mm lens will cover the 6x9 format you intend to use. I know the Planar wouldn't, [oh it WILL form an image, but it sure isn't sharp - it was designed to cover no more than 6x7], and I believe this lens had the same coverage.

If you'll look under each focusing scale and post the numbers, maybe we can tell you about the original lenses they were used with.

Fred Lustig can adapt most lenses to the body release. He has those "levers" you asked about.
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2002 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-08-07 18:28, Les wrote:
Quote:

On 2002-08-07 18:01, wkatez wrote:

Here are my questions:

Wayne Katez

4. There were two wide angle opticals, One is a one piece tubular affar that replaces the tubular finder you have now, the other was a drop in that fits in place of the mask.

Probably, talk to Fred Lustig or maybe Columbus camera, but my experience with body releases is that they leave a lot to be desired and get in the way when switching lenses.
To add to Les' reply, Midwest Photo Exchange (www.mpex.com) has a heap of "the drop in that fits in place of the mask." It works for 90 mm lenses on 4x5 and 65 mm on 2x3. I have one, it is useful and wasn't too too expensive.

Cheers,

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: