Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ideas for replacing septum springs?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Graflite

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my 4 x 5 Grafmatics has a broken spring which resides in the film compartment and helps to push the film septums upwards.

As metals usually do it broke at the stress point where it it is rivited to the compartment, and it seems easy enough to perhaps drill out the rivets and remove the spring for replacement, I would also replace the other spring in the compartment to maintain an equal level of pressure for the septums.

Apart from cannabilizing another Grafmatic for parts, has anyone replaced this part in their Grafmatic with something similar or suitable.

I have a few thoughts on what to use, but I value your ideas and experience and was wondering if anyone had any ideas to share?
RichS

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted a message about my attempts at this, maybe in the accessories topic area?

In brief, I couldn't find a suitable spring material. The original in mine seemed to be a bronse metal and very fragile beyond it's designed spring movement...

The two materials I have tried are:

A cut strip of platic from a one liter soft drink bottle. The plastic near the bottom, where a bulge is usually, is thicker than the rest of the bottle. The diameter is very similar to the origninal spring.

A piece os actual spring from the inside of a cheap tape measure. This was a 3 dollar import, about a quarter inch in width. When taken apart, there is a flat spring the same length as the 6 foot tape measure. I cut an appropriate length, bent the end and installed.

I used glue! Didn't want to rivet a temporary fix. I used Elmer's houshold all purpose stuff (don't have it on hand). Not the old white stuff. This is a tube of clear, thick glue that bonds just about anything.

The glue worked fine!

The two materials both worked. Oddly enough, the plastic spring held up better than the cheap metal one in retaining the proper diameter. The metal spring flattens out more after a period of time.

I never did get around to finding a better material. if you find one, please let me know! I did discover that not much pressure is really needed, nore to the two sides have to match (mine don't in this repair). But, with the now weaker spring on one side, it will jam if I don't pay attention. But I have another one with original springs that works about the same...

If I had to replace a spring tomorrow, I would go find a good plastic bottle and cut another strip. Until _we_ find a better material anyway

Good luck!

Rich...

Forgot to mention that with the clear plastic replacement and the rivets removed, you have to block the hols or you get a major light leak

Found the orignal post here:
http://graflex.org/helpboard/viewtopic.php?topic=470&forum=4
Although there really more info in the new post :wink:

[ This Message was edited by: RichS on 2002-07-03 11:29 ]
Graflite

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To RichS:

Thanks for the great ideas on replacing the springs in my Grafmatic, the suggestion about using the metal from a tape measure was along my train of original thinking.

The suggestion about using plastic from a soda bottle never crossed my mind and it raises new avenues for me to explore.

Thankfully I have some extra Grafmatics to use and I suppose I could wait for a "septum less" Grafmatic to show up on e***.

Thanks again for the ideas and if I come across anything I'll post it in this forum.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Film Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: