Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Graflex - Brooks Veriwide

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Non-Graflex Cameras
View previous topic :: View next topic  
troufiyon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am trying to determine the compatibility and availibility of accessories (film-backs etc) between the Graflex XL and the Brooks Veriwide (and possibly the Mamiya Press of 23) with interchangeable backs. grateful any leads, information, experiences.
thks/rgds
Jules
Les

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a Brooks labeled Polaroid back for my Graflex XLSW and it fit beautifully, I would suspect everything else would fit too, save for the 70mm roll back since it doesn't employ the Graflok back.
troufiyon

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thks for obliging Les. does that mean that i must first mount a Graflok back on the back of the lens panel? any graflok back? thks yr kind input. rgds. T
Les

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay I was having a senility attack and had to go look up exactly what a Brooks Veriwide is. from this auction
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1357599665

It's obvious that this is a copy of a Graflex XLSW The roll back mounts on two locking pins, just like the Graflok back would on an XL. The polaroid back works off of these pins too, and to correct myself, so does the 70mm back by Graflex. If you want to use 120/220 graflex roll backs or mamiya RB backs then you'd need a Graflok back, but why?

You can also use the Graflex XL spacers to get close up, though you'd have to either get the graflex back for the ground glass or use a measuring tape to set the focus.
alecj

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-06-08 01:52, troufiyon wrote:
I am trying to determine the compatibility and availibility of accessories (film-backs etc) between the Graflex XL and the Brooks Veriwide (and possibly the Mamiya Press of 23) with interchangeable backs. grateful any leads, information, experiences.
thks/rgds
Jules

All the XL accessories are compatible with the Brooks Veriwide, Jules. In addition, you can get an adapter to mount Graflex backs using the Graflok system onto your Veriwide also.

I like using the XL Polaroid back on my Veriwide because the image is larger - or, in the case of the Veriwide - WIDER!

This is a very versitile system, Jules. One thing to look out for, however. If you use a Veriwide roll film back on your camera, be very careful about the light trap for the dark slide which inserts from the top. They are notoriously bad. And HARD to correct. I finally gave up, removed the chrome trim around the slot and taped it over, replacing the trim. I just couldn't get it to work light tight. I've got two backs and they both suffer from that problem. However, they are VERY good in holding the film flat, so its just a compromise.

Hope you enjoy your camera.
Les

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"be very careful about the light trap for the dark slide ... They are notoriously bad. And HARD to correct. ... I just couldn't get it to work light tight. However, they are VERY good in holding the film flat, so its just a compromise.

So you can you a Graphic roll back and have well exposed but fuzzy images or the Brooks back and have sharp but fogged images... no wonder the Hasselblad sold so well
alecj

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be more precise, it was the light trap that I never could get to work and be light tight. Once the trap was taped over, the back was perfectly dark, and eminently useable, but not interchangable in mid roll.
troufiyon

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting, or am i just lucky? have tested both my cameras with both backs and so far all pix perfect and no light streak. but thanks a lot for your feedback, it will serve me in good stead if ever a ray of light appears - also good to ascertain compatibility with XL.
rgds/Jules
alecj

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great. Just keep an eye on those traps. Open the back and, with the dark slide removed, look up [from the inside toward the top] toward the back of the trap while you're in front of a light source. Hopefully you'll see NOTHING. The less you use the slides, the better.

Enjoy your camera. I've had mine [with an f5.6 lens] for about 30 years. Love it.

I forgot to mention - look for the wire finder Graflex made for the XLSW. Its # is 7361. Actually, its coverage is more accurate than the optical finder for the 47mm lens.

[ This Message was edited by: alecj on 2002-06-26 07:13 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Non-Graflex Cameras All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: