Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Angelfire reducing size of web site. Download Now!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hmartin@tns.net

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angelfire 30-day notice date is June 27, 2002. I have been notified by Angelfire that in less than 30 days my free web site will be cut by 30MBs. If anyone wants copies of the Graflex Manuals on my site please download within the next four weeks. (Are their any other free (50MB+) site available?)
http://www.angelfire.com/art/architecturalphoto
Harry
New web site:
http://hmartin.mysitespace.com/

[ This Message was edited by: hmartin@tns.net on 2002-06-28 10:08 ]

[ This Message was edited by: hmartin@tns.net on 2002-07-26 13:30 ]
Graflite

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harry:

Thank you for the warning, I for one (and perhaps I speak for many) greatly appreciate the time and effort that you have taken in scanning and posting these old instruction books and manuals to your web site.

They have been a great help to me as I fix and maintain the collection of Graflex equipment that I own (and still try and use).

Keep up the great work and if I come across a free hosting site of a decent capacity, I will forward the info to you.

graflite

RichS

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-06-28 10:04, hmartin@tns.net wrote:
Angelfire 30-day notice date is June 27, 2002. I have been notified by Angelfire that in less than 30 days my free web site will be cut by 30MBs. If anyone wants copies of the Graflex Manuals on my site please download within the next four weeks. (Are their any other free (50MB+) site available?)
http://www.angelfire.com/art/architecturalphoto
Harry

[ This Message was edited by: hmartin@tns.net on 2002-06-28 10:08 ]

I'd like to thank you also. I have used at least oone of your offering in the past.
I did have one thought. How about compressing the multiple pages (pics) into a single file for each manual. Maybe that would save enough room? It would also make downloading them much easier and faster. If not, I'll see how much room they need and whether or not I could afford the room on my web site. If so, then maybe we could work out if it would be okay for me to offer them there? But let me check the space first...

Thanks!
Rich...
hmartin@tns.net

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the kind words! My manuals were put on the internet for anyones use,in anyway they desire. So you're free to use them on your site. As they stand now they take 31 megs of space( I still had about 20 pages of the last manual to upload and I have a Graflex B-C Cartridge Instructions Manual to upload as well). Compressing each manual in a simgle file for faster downloads sounds great but I'm no internet expert. I just don't know how to do it.
Okay, some good news, I found another 50 megs free site that I've activated. I haven't been able to visit my new site yet. I'm sure it is some small glich? I've emailed the support group and should have an answer to my problem in a few days. And, I should know within a week or two if I'm able to transport the manuals to my new site. (Angelfire is liniting my access to my site until it's size is reduced below 20 megs!) Harry
RichS

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great news! I hope you can keep this stuff up for everyone...

I finally managed to download all the pics and tried a quick zip compression. It actually wound up using _more_ space! Jpeg's are pretty efficient... But since most of the pics are B&W, they could be reduced in overall size by quite a bit by reducing the number of colors in the pics and a little 'processing' on the computer. Since I couldn't possibly give up 30+ megs of space on my site, I'll look into reducing their size and maybe packaging them into single files. I know zip is available on Macs (the standard for win machines), but I may have to switch from jpeg for the smaller size. I'll have to look into a compatible pic format, or maybe package them as PDF's which not only works on both platforms but reads/prints like a book. I'll let you know if I manage the smaller size...

Rich...
klotz

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the files on Graflex.org now. I'll be happy to host them, or any modified versions, for you.

See http://graflex.org/manuals/art
and http://graflex.org/manuals

The files in the /manauls directory are PDF but are rather large so don't download them if you are on a modem.
hmartin@tns.net

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The manuals will be on my web site through July 24th if anyone wants to download them. After that I will have to delete them or Angelfire will pick and choose which files go! Thank you all.... Harry
RichS

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally got around to converting all the files to 2-bit B&W which saved a huge amount of space. Then converted them to PDF format for the individual manuals. The total space for all the files in PDF format is only 8.5 megs, which I could just barely squeeze into my web site. So for now at least, all the files are also available in a much smaller PDF format at:
http://www.southbristolviews.com
at the bottom of the left side menu under "Graflex manuals". They'll be available there until I need the space for smoething else?

And Harry, besides the big 'thank you' for this stuff. Is there a particular link you'd like associated with the credit to you? Or anything else said about you? At the moment the site only says 'provided by H Martin"...

Thanks again...

Rich...
hmartin@tns.net

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds great Rich! Just spell out Harry instead of just H will be just fine.
RichS

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done
hmartin@tns.net

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graflex.org.... You can get rid of the little box on the Manuals index page by correcting the path to where the single_pixel file is stored. The file on the index page is located as a spacer (increase the number value to increase the spacing) between Table of Contents link and the questions? link.
hmartin@tns.net

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rich! I've linked to your site and indicated the smaller folder sizes and the Manuals faster download.
After several tries, I have found a free web service that has provided me with enough storage space for the Graflex Manuals. My new web page for the Manuals is:
http://hmartin.mysitespace.com/graflexindex.html
Harry
RichS

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's good news Harry. And thanks for linking to my site.

Maybe we should all put our resources together here and collect all Graflex manuals to be made availabe on-line? Now that would take some serious storage space but worthwhile!
hmartin@tns.net

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2002 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich, that sounds like a good idea. Soon I'll begin scanning the rest that I have for the web.
MySiteSpace.com sets no upper limit for free web site space. That certainly won't last forever. When I needed more space, all I had to do was email the webmaster and tell him/her how much I needed. They even allow one to have multiple web sites!
Harry
RichS

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2002 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is getting off topic a bit... But gees, how can they do that without some kind of hitch? Even if you didn't "use" that free web site, it would make great off-site storage for another 'real' web site! I may have to look into this myself to hold the larger scans & such...

And to keep on-topic Yes, we should all get together and arrange scans of all the Grafex manuals to be made available. One way or the other, the people involved will find places to make them available for download as we have so far... I'll have to check mine to see if I have anything not available elsewhere too...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: