Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hand-held Crown Graphic use

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steve@toprinting.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2002 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd appreciate the forum's advice on hand-holding a 4x5 Crown Graphic.

Here's the parameters I'd like to stay within: 90mm, 135mm, or 203mm lens. ASA 100 or 400 film in DCH. No flash. Natural light.

I've no cam in the RF so it's unusable. I could pre-focus to (let's say) 15' thru the GG and use the pop-up thingy at the proper height for paralax comp. but is it with or w/o the sports finder? Or should I use the view "tube" on the upper right corner for framing. Maybe go for the Winograd style and shoot from the hip - no sighting?

Any suggestions for minimun shutter speed? The old "Sunny 16" says for 100 speed film go 100th sec @ f16 (actually I've found f11 a bit more consistant) but I'm thinking that would be a bit slow for hand-holding. ASA 400 would give me 400th sec @ f16 (f11) - probably a better choice now that I think of it.

My preference would be for a more shallow DOF but I'm sure that the limitations of the lens/shutter may get in the way.

Sorry for the long winded question. Thanks.

Les

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your on the right track. Sunny rule of f16 was 'on sand or snow' else it's f11.

The other rule is about lenses and unless you've practiced a lot, the rule is shooting below the reciprocal of the focal lenght (in mm) is hazardous to sharp pictures. So the don't shoot the 90 below 1/100 and don't shoot the 203mm below 1/200th.

Experience with a Graphic tells me that you could more easily get away with the 90 at 1/100 than the 203 at 1/200th.

Lens performance is usually best 2 stops down from wide open so with an f4.7 that's about f8.5, but don't let this stop you from experimenting shooting wide open.

the sports finder is a two piece set up. flip up the rear peep sight, pull up the wire sight on the front standard and you'll quickly see it's a lot easier to shoot with that than the tiny optical finder. Not as accurate but much easier to use. Depending on the model, parallax correction is on either the peep sight or the front finder.

Now you can see why Kodak had a popular film with an asa of 1250.

If you soup your own B&W, try using diaphine and rating Tmax at 800. diaphine is diferent than normal developers. There's two baths, soak the film in the first for 3-5 minutes, then the second bath for 3-5 minutes. time, Temp and agitation are not critical.
steve@toprinting.com

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the interesting information. It will be fun useing your advice in the field. Now all I need is a "Press Hat" and a chewed cigar butt.

Regards,

-Steve

crbrelativity

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been shooting hand held with my crown graphic for a few months now. I use a 545 polaroid back. I would ask the smart ones here on this sitght for help with the cam. Using the range finder really enhances your flexability when shooting snap shots.

At ISO 100, I find I can get nice shots at 1/50th with no special care taken, the weight of the crown must keep it a little more steady then a 35mm camera.

Good luck.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: