Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Optar 127mm lens

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wfhguy

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2002 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know the relative quality of the Optar 127mm f4.5 lens, regarding sharpness, coverage etc.? From what I have been able to figure out, it was originally made for use with the smaller (than 4x5) film formats. How does it stack up on the 4x5? If it's any help, the lens serial number is 927537, I have no idea of the age. My camera is a green military model, I'm assuming this is the original lens. Thanks.
Les

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 127mm lens (be it an Optar or Ektar) is a Tessar formula, that in your case is coated.

the Ektar version was considered one of the best color corrected lenses in the TOp of the line- Ektar family.

The optar is a clone of the the Ektar, people will say that consistancy varied a bit more with Wollensak than with Kodak. I say at this point in the game, how it was used/abused will have more effect on the quality of images you get rather than what pedigree it had 60 years ago.

This was intended for 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 and as such the corners will be a bit soft if you shoot below f11, but I've never condsidered my corners to be the prime subject of my photographs. You also won't have a lot of movement of the front standard.

But remember, this lens was usually used as a point and shoot, f8 and be there camera, so don't expect the performance of a lens that's 60 years newer, weighs 4 times and costs 5-10 times as much

wfhguy

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the helpful info. Now for some testing...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Lenses Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: