Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

About setting infinity stops

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
razor1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:24 pm    Post subject: About setting infinity stops Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm currently trying to set the infinity stops for my lens on a Crown Graphic. If I understand correctly I have to unlock the front standard and move it on the rails (without moving the bed) until I find that a subject placed at around 400m is sharp on the ground glass. But what I find confusing is that whenever I open the camera the bed always moves out a little bit. Infact, if I want to close the camera immediately after I have opened it, I have to first turn the bed knobs for maybe 3/4 of a round for the bed to go back as far as possible inside the camera. So my question is: every time I open the camera (be it for setting infinity stops or for normal focusing) should I first "set" the bed by returning it as far as possible inside the camera? Or is this how the camera works, so I should not care about this slight forward movement of the bed? Thanks for your patience.

Luca
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up to the Pacemaker series of cameras there were only Speed Graphics and the setting had the rails fully retracted into the body for infinity.

Apparently many photographers voiced their opinion that they wanted to be able to focus past infinity so they could verify that they had indeed achieved infinity focus.

Starting with the Pacemaker series of cameras, Crown, Speed, the the setting changed to forward from fully retracted .040 ± .010 inch (1.016 ± .254 millimeter) for the infinity position.

Choose which starting point you wish, lock the rails at that point, and set the lens to infinity. Once set the lens will read correct focus on the ground glass for any subject you focus on. The same holds true for a rangefinder.

An infinity target at least 5000 feet/ 1524 meters will produce accurate infinity, closer will leave further distances soft. If I set up a lens or rangefinder infinity on a target 4000 feet/1220 meters away celestial objects are soft when the camera is at its infinity setting, using a target 5000/1524 meters or further away to set the infinity position on, celestial objects are sharp.

Always set infinity with the lens wide open.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: