Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mini-Speed-Graphic - Pulling the lens out to infinity lock

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmccl@yahoo.com

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 7:37 pm    Post subject: Mini-Speed-Graphic - Pulling the lens out to infinity lock Reply with quote

At the base of the forward part of the bellows there is a "pinch" gadget that enables sliding the bellows forward out to the infinity lock. When I pinch the gadget there is no real movement but I can wiggle the assembly forward a little bit. Is there some kind of trick that I could use to free the mechanism so that it will slide more freely?
45PSS

PostPosted: Sun Jan 03, 2016 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect that the bellows pleats are stuck to each other which will impair the front standard movement. Remove the focus panel from the back by removing the screw at the center of the leaf springs while holding the spring down to prevent stripping the screw hold.
Now while pressing the front standard lock rings together and pulling forward on the front standard, try to separate the bellows pleats from the inside with your fingers. Be gentle, the bellows are leather and may tear easily. Once out far enough separate the bellows from the exterior.
jmccl@yahoo.com

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:26 pm    Post subject: Definitely binding on the rail Reply with quote

I dropped the front bed and slid the front standard off the rear bed and the bellows move freely. The pinch "brake" has a lot of travel when it is off the bed but when I slide it back on the rail, there is no noticeable travel on the pinch mechanism. As best I can tell, the front standard is straight on the rail. I have used the camera several months ago and although the movement was stiff, it would slide out to the infinity stop. I was just checking the camera the other day in preparation for a project that I have in mind and that was when I first could not move the front standard out to the infinity stop. I know better than to try WD40, maybe some graphite lubricant?
45PSS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My miniature Speed does not have a drop bed. I have to run the rails out far enough for the front standard to clear the rails to get the standard off the rails.
Front Standard lock pinch rings
1 24/32 inch between the inside edge of the pinch rings with the front standard off the rails.
1 17/32 inch between the inside edge of the pinch rings with the rings compressed to their limit.
1 22/32 inch between the inside edge of the pinch rings with the front standard on either the body or bed rails.

There is a large eccentric screw on the fixed (left) side of the front standard that may adjust the distance between the rail clamps.

Light weight machine oil or light weight grease should be fine for lubrication.
Some use WD40 as a cleaning agent. Isopropyl Alcohol works well for a cleaning agent/degreaser.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: