Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

4x5 Pacemaker TriPod Base.. cracked!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peter k

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:18 pm    Post subject: 4x5 Pacemaker TriPod Base.. cracked! Reply with quote

Noticed that the TriPod base on my 4x5 Pacemaker must be cracked, as when on the TriPod, its weak there, and is moving. Probably nothing keeping it together but the leather.
Need to expose this area, and gently peal the leather back and see what is what.
Referring to the manual:

http://graflex.org/manuals/45-Pacemaker-Speed-and-Crown-Graphic.pdf

I searched and am missing anything about the bottom on this Pacemaker in the manual. It has everything else.

So I've'd removed the GraftLok back, and its screwed on base from the camera.
But now how do you get those 'pastic' wedged, pyramid shaped, I suppose, base protectors out so I can cut the leather there and see what's going on?
Jim C.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at Figure 12 for the case, it's not clear in the service manual, but from my CLA/restoration of
my pacemaker and crown the tripod socket is under the rear yoke ( focusing rail ) guide.

Opening the back gets you access to the FPS on a pacemaker, and that's the hard
way to get at the tripod socket.
peter k

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yes... that makes sense... found it in Fig 12... what I am trying to do, as it seems to be not broken but cracked. I took off the GraftLok back, and its base that exposes FPS.. so it would not block trying to slide it out.

When the camera is on the TriPod, you can see the leather flex, and you can see the stretch marks on it, externally on the bottom. So I wanted to peal off the external leather.. by cutting it, on each side, of the area.
On each side there is, what appears to be in the a 'plastic' wedged, pyramid shaped, inserts, that I suppose, protects wear to the leather on the bottom, and wanted to take these out, not only to cut the leather if its there, but see if that is the depth, that the crack is at.

How do you remove these?
Are they glued in?
They will have to be slid out... as they cannot be pried up, or it would split the bottom even more.

What I'm hoping is that I will be able to insert some glue.. into the break.
Perhaps reinforcing with some flat head screws this area, but we have to examine it which is now hidden under the leather.

I may well have to access it also under the rear yoke, so thanks for the heads up...
peter k

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK.. For anyone's future reference: (including mine)

The two 'plastic' wedged, pyramid shaped, inserts, are held in place by the four screws (#32 Figure 2 page 2) rear yoke assembly. They are attached to four nuts that are held in place by the 'plastic' wedged, pyramid shaped, inserts.
Did not have t remove the bellows thank goodness, only unscrewed the two bottom Front standard screws, completely, that hold in the bottom of the lens board, then loosened the top two on the lens board and disconnected the bellows. This allowed enough room to unscrew the above.
Jim C.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you found out how to remove the bottom feet, what was the cause of the movement, cracked case bottom ?
peter k

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes... once the plastic feet where out.. as I suspected the crack was from that ... ah 'depth'. Couldn't get the leather off easily, so just pried the crack open, and instead of regular glue, used the thinner Gorilla Super Glue, so it would penetrate down into the crack,, and added 4, flat head 3/8 brass screws. 2 on each side, about 1/2" inside the plastic feet, to reinforce it.
Also had to replace one of the nuts, (of the four bolts that hold the yoke inside, with the feet externally) that had cracked in half.

Got it all back together. and after lunch took it out and took a couple of vertical shots, to test it out, with it attached to the TriPod.
All is well
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: