Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

4x5 Speed Graphic, exposure settings without meter?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stonewhite

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2015 9:47 am    Post subject: 4x5 Speed Graphic, exposure settings without meter? Reply with quote

hello

What we're attempting to accomplish may not be possible without purchasing a light meter--instead, we downloaded a 'sunny 16' paper slide calculator:

http://www.squit.co.uk/photo/files/E...Calculator.pdf

There is an interior shot, 'mood lighting' in restaurant, 4x5 HP+ film...

Please take a moment to help set the f/stop and speed, no flash...first time using the chart, and not certain on the correct reading...somewhere on the chart--at the 'EV' row, it reads, 'Average home, night interior,' EV5.

When we bring the ISO row--ISO 400--to the line up with the EV5, it gives several possibilities for f stop and speed: 1.4/60, 2/30, 2.8/15, 4/8 and 5.8/4.

We'd just choose one (depending upon other concerns, like depth of field, etc.) and release shutter? It's that easy, or do we really need a light meter for this?

thank you

ps: if we wanted to add a Yongnuo yn568ex flash--using manual settings, would the 'sunny 16' chart be unable to assist at that point?
Sirius Glass

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could not follow the URL.

Sunny 16 works for day time work after sun rise to before sunset. I have never been able to estimate the exposure inside a building without flash.

Buy a good used light meter for less that $100 and the investment will save its cost by not wasting film.

I bought a Gossen Luna Pro SBC from KEH [www.keh.com] for less that $100 including shipping. I will meet your needs for available light photography.
Mike V Florida

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:25 am    Post subject: link Reply with quote

The forum must have "shrunk" the link,

try this;

www.squit.co.uk/photo/exposurecalc.html
Billy Canuck

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Sunny 16" also depends on where you're shooting from, e.g. in southern Canada, where I am, it's usually more like "sunny 11."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: