Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hand strap lugs, rangefinder questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JX8P

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:50 pm    Post subject: Hand strap lugs, rangefinder questions Reply with quote

Hiya folks,

I've recently came into possession of a pre-Anniversary Speed Graphic 4x5.

However, I've run into two issues.

First of all - I'd like to use the Speed Graphic handheld, so a hand strap is almost essential. But there's no lugs for the strap on this graphic. It seems they were removed - there are still screw holes in the right place. Unfortunately I've had no luck looking on eBay for the strap lugs. I've found a strap that has the lugs for one side - but I'll need two. Screws would be handy as well, but if not, I can deal with that. Has anyone got any idea where I might find the lugs?

Secondly - the Kalart Rangefinder's actuator arm doesn't seem to have a lot of spring in it, so I have to loosen the metal 'track' it runs through until the arm can nearly leave the track from the sides. Is there a way to restore its springiness?

Thanks in advance!
45PSS

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same handle was used on the Pre Anniversary and Anniversary Speed Graphic. I have no clue where to get the brackets needed for the handle. The top bracket has a clip so that the handle can be dropped out of the way for tripod mounting in the portrait position.
This ebay usa listing shows the strap and brackets clearly:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Graflex-4x5-Pre-Anniversay-Speed-Graphic-Black-/111598455620?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19fbc94b44
There are a few handles for the Anny/Pre Anny listed but they have the bottom bracket only.

The Kalart rangefinder is a type F. There is little information on it. Try http://lommen9.home.xs4all.nl/index.html . The spring movement of the arm is provided by a torsion spring inside the rangefinder housing. Check that the bed slide is not warped or bent and that it will slide freely when secured in place. It should attach with a shoulder screw that lets the arm end slide under it. A similar design was used on the Miniature Speed Graphic I think as I have limited experience with Pre Annys.
Ask more questions if needed. This site does not host photos. Photos hosted on other sites can be embedded or linked to in posts here to make discussions easier.
Sirius Glass

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A strap can be made by anyone with tools for leather, such as a shoe repair shop.

The brackets may be harder to find.

I too shoot my Speed Graphic hand held.
Henry

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fashioned a hand strap for my Century from 1"-wide black nylon braid from the fabric store, using black plastic buckles from the Tandy store. I fastened the strap to the buckle by melting it to itself with a small (25W) soldering iron; I also sealed the cut ends of the braid with the iron. The result is a serviceable strap that matches the gray/red/black scheme of the camera. It's much more attractive, I think, than the el-cheapo plastic strap that was OE; Graflex really cheaped out on that one!

Good luck finding the brackets. I wouldn't have a clue, except to watch the auction site.
JX8P

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry wrote:
I fashioned a hand strap for my Century from 1"-wide black nylon braid from the fabric store, using black plastic buckles from the Tandy store. I fastened the strap to the buckle by melting it to itself with a small (25W) soldering iron; I also sealed the cut ends of the braid with the iron. The result is a serviceable strap that matches the gray/red/black scheme of the camera. It's much more attractive, I think, than the el-cheapo plastic strap that was OE; Graflex really cheaped out on that one!

Good luck finding the brackets. I wouldn't have a clue, except to watch the auction site.

Pardon me for the very late reply, but your choice, as well as Sirius Glass' suggestion, led me to go ahead and make my own strap. It's braided nylon with my attempt at a leather covering:

Excuse the photo quality - the strap does look slightly better in real life, particularly the bottom black part which is pretty hideous in the photo, though still very clearly home-made with no leather-specific tools or experience.

Nonetheless it does the job. I have been enjoying shooting my Speed Graphic; thank you to all the help and resources here on this forum, and to all the other websites which helped me to breathe life back into it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: