Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Crown Graphic with 75mm Lens

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lobalobo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:26 pm    Post subject: Crown Graphic with 75mm Lens Reply with quote

Having received much useful information on this site, I thought I'd offer some information this time, on the chance it will help someone. I recently purchased a 75mm lens to use on my Crown Graphic and though it fits (back element is clear of the film) at that focal length the standard sits inside the body of the camera making rise impossible. Of course, movements are not the strength of a Crown Graphic in any case, but for architecture wide-angle rise is a particularly desirable move and is not possible here (unless I'm missing something).
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're missing something. Go to www.southbristolviews.com and look in the Graflex manuals. The Top RF Pacemaker manual should show an exploded view of the front standard.

Whether it does or doesn't, if you remove the wire frame finder from the front standard you'll gain a little front rise when the front standard is inside the box.

I have no idea whether it will be enough for your purposes. This is another reminder that Graphics, useful tools that they are, can't do everything.
Henry

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a similar problem with the 68mm Optar on my Century Graphic. It is as Dan Fromm suggests: removing the frame finder will gain a bit of front rise, and I did so. This is not a big issue for me, though, since I scan my negs into Photoshop and use the perspective correction tool in that program.

I should add that I *prefer* to do PC "in the camera," but when movements run up against limitations in same, I resort to 'shop.
IanG

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My pre-Anniversary Speed Graphic had part of the top cut away from new to allow rise with a WA, I don't know what FL but wider than 75mm. It's rangefinder is also set to work with a wider lens, infinity focus is when the standard is inside the body,.

I've not seen another Speed Graphic like it but I have seen two MPP Micro Technicals similarly modified. The Mk VIII was modified during manufacture by MPP for the architecture photographer who was selling the camera after many years of use, still in very good condition.

The second was very local to me, my wife used to walk our dog past the house last year, an Mk VI or VII it had a hinged part to the top which could be opened to allow rise with a 65mm lens. British cameras like the Sanderon Regular had this years before.

Ian
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: