Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I just got a new Speed Graphic! Now I have a few questions..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cyrious Photography

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:20 pm    Post subject: I just got a new Speed Graphic! Now I have a few questions.. Reply with quote

Hey everyone,

Sorry if you've seen 100 of these posts, but I just got my hands on a Speed Graphic, and I was wondering if you guys could answer a few questions for me. First off, here is my new baby:

I picked this guy off ebay for about $175 which, as far as I know is a good price. When I got it, I couldn't see anything throught the camera, and couldn't immediately figure out why. I removed the front lens too see if there were any obstructions, and it seems that the bellows is separating a little bit, but nothing too serious:

When it's extended I don't think it will interfere with taking any pictures.

Upon further inspection, It seems that my rear focal plane shutter isn't working, and it was stuck between frames. I removed the back cover, and was able to manually wind the FPS back to the "0" position so that I could see though it. How difficult is a repair like this? I'm decently handy but I'm just not familiar with this sort of thing, and I don't want to make any mistakes. I can take a video if it trying to work if that would help in any diagnosis.

Anyway, you can see the full album here: http://imgur.com/a/MVInv
If anyone sees anything note worthy or have any tips I'd love to hear them, and I'm excited to get my large format going on.
45PSS

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The service manual for your 1948 Pacemaker Speed Graphic is here:
http://www.graflex.org/manuals/45-Pacemaker-Speed-and-Crown-Graphic.pdf
The service manual for the Graphex #2 full sync shutter is here:
http://www.southbristolviews.com/pics/Graphic/manual-pdf/GraphexShutterService.pdf
The manuals are in pdf format and should be downloaded to your hard drive.
I also service these for a moderate fee.

As for the bellows separation I would mix some glue with water and inject it with an ink refill syringe and needle. You can also cut the inner lining only with a razor knife in the center of the bellows, apply the adhesive, and reattach. Do not cut at the corners as that is where the most wear occurs and light leaks occur. Use a flexible when dry glue.
tom thomas

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice looking camera, though it is spring-back. Look for a graflok back on E-B*y to make life easier. I saw one there recently. With a graflok back, you can use 120mm roll film adapters instead of having to load 4X5 cut film if you dont' mind the smaller image.

good shooting. I'm waiting for my "new" 4X5 Crown Graphic to arrive. Snow in northeast slowing things down.
Cyrious Photography

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

45PSS wrote:
The service manual for your 1948 Pacemaker Speed Graphic is here:
http://www.graflex.org/manuals/45-Pacemaker-Speed-and-Crown-Graphic.pdf
The service manual for the Graphex #2 full sync shutter is here:
http://www.southbristolviews.com/pics/Graphic/manual-pdf/GraphexShutterService.pdf

I downloaded this PDF but I believe it is for the between-lens shutter, and not the rear Focal-Plane shutter if i'm not mistaken. Both of these are extremely helpful though, any chance you have the Focal-Plane shutter manual lying around somewhere?
Cyrious Photography

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tom thomas wrote:
Nice looking camera, though it is spring-back. Look for a graflok back on E-B*y to make life easier. I saw one there recently. With a graflok back, you can use 120mm roll film adapters instead of having to load 4X5 cut film if you dont' mind the smaller image.

good shooting. I'm waiting for my "new" 4X5 Crown Graphic to arrive. Snow in northeast slowing things down.

Awesome, I will do. I haven't had too much an issue with manually loading slides, though I only have three so I'm limited to six shots, which as of yet has been enough. I will definitely look into that though, thank you!
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are 2 repeat TWO manuals linked . The first one is for the camera body and the FPS servicing starts on PDF page 12, manual page 6 under the Section VI heading on the right side.
Cyrious Photography

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

45PSS wrote:
There are 2 repeat TWO manuals linked . The first one is for the camera body and the FPS servicing starts on PDF page 12, manual page 6 under the Section VI heading on the right side.

Ah yes, I'm sorry I thought it was the same as another user manual I had found earlier which didn't have this disassembly instructions. I appreciate the help - thank you.
toolbox

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice looking camera. It's got all the early features--small bearing caps, "Speed Graphic" name plate, Graphic back and black painted bed. That also means you have the leather bellows. The leaf shutter isn't original...it's a later one (has the sync switch and focus switch). Oddly, the lens cells are probably older (painted black and not chromed), so the lens cells may actually be original.

FP shutters aren't too hard to work on with these. Only tools you really need are a good set of screwdrivers and a lot of patience. Yours will have the early style governor too, which means it won't come off with the cover plate (if you find instructions online, they may differ because of that). If you have to take it completely apart, you'll get the fun of re-timing the curtain to the winder, which is the only really difficult part of the job (and where the patience is required). A shutter speed tester is also kind of required to set the shutter speeds when you're done, but there are ways to get "pretty close" without one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: