Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Working around a stiff and sticky curtain?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hamradio

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:46 pm    Post subject: Working around a stiff and sticky curtain? Reply with quote

I'm tearing into a 3.25x4.25 RB auto I just snagged. The curtain looked to be in pretty solid shape, but I couldn't get the aperture to wind. I tore it down, and the curtain is stuck to the top roller, and kind of sticky/soft around that area. The curtain is stiff in other areas, but I think the whole thing would probably be usable. Ideally, I'd like to get the focal plane shutter back into working order, to use this camera body in a project involving barrel lenses.

I have a couple questions.

Is there anything I can treat the curtain with, to help restore some softness to the stiffer areas?

Is there a good way to get the stuck section off of the roller? I'm treading lightly around this thing, as I fear a new/usable curtain is unobtanium (or would cost far more than the rest of the camera did).

Thanks!
hamradio

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it turns out that the sticky section was just the end cemented onto the drum, left to sit against one part of the camera for ages. I successfully extracted the curtain from the camera, though some bits of rubber stuck themselves to the back side of other parts of the curtain, creating quite a few pinholes here and there. The rest of the curtain was pretty flexible/supple and free of cracks, though the rough areas might be a bit of work to paint in.

Is there a service manual floating around for the earlier FP shutters? The only one I can find is for a Pacemaker Speed.
45PSS

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can email you my service instructions for a Graflex SLR, developed from shared information from another member who serviced them for years and my experience and expertise.

Coat the shutter material with Pledge in the Yellow can or with Black Magic Tire Wet. I have used Pledge numerous times with good results and Tire Wet once. I was not impressed with the tire wet as it did not do any better than pledge and was a little oilier.

All Graflex/Graphic Focal Plane Shutters are a variation on a theme from introduction in 1907 to end of production in 1970/1973.

All Graflex SLR's are a variation on a theme. The shutter disassembles and is adjusted the same in all cameras.

Use the site search for Curtain and limit the search to this, the Reflex, section. You will get 125 posts.
http://graflex.org/helpboard/viewtopic.php?t=5624 is one of the most important.
Use the Golden Acrylic Artist Paint, carbon black, referenced toward the end, to patch the pin holes or strip the curtain and paint it in with the paint diluted 50% in two or three thin coats.

See http://graflex.org/helpboard/viewtopic.php?t=6578 also.
hamradio

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, thanks for the info. Which specific Golden acrylic have you had success with? The heavy body?

Additionally, the information you've compiled would be much appreciated. Should I shoot you a PM with my email address?
45PSS

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Which specific Golden acrylic have you had success with? The heavy body?

Yes.

Quote:
Should I shoot you a PM with my email address?

Yes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Reflex Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: