Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pre-Anniversary & Aniiversary Spd Graphic Focal Plane Is

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
elanphoto

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:23 am    Post subject: Pre-Anniversary & Aniiversary Spd Graphic Focal Plane Is Reply with quote

Hello all,

I recently purchased both a Pre-anniversary 4x5 Speed Graphic and a 4x5 Anniversary Speed Graphic--both with the hopes of using them with barrel lenses. I have questions pertaining to each. The Pre-Anniversary is beautiful, however, the focal plane shutter was not working properly. After winding and tripping it a few times to get it to 'loosen up' --and hopefully wind/trip at all speeds-- something 'gave', separating from the bottom rod, and the curtain suddenly wound up into itself on the top, spinning wildly ...and then no more So now it just spins around itself on the top rod.

Is this 'fixable' by a semi-skilled mechanic like myself, or if too complicated, is there someone who can fix this on a cost-effective basis?

Second, the Anniversary Speed Graphic (with simplified F/R/Trip switch): The curtain winds and 'trips' but is sluggish and erratic. It was likely stored forever with tension on the spring(?) Is this 'adjustable' and is there a resource/PDF to refer to, if anyone knows? I'd really like to use these again in focal plane mode. I've never taken a Speed Graphic apart, so I am intimidated.

Thanks to any who may have input on this.
45PSS

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Graflex Focal Plane Shutter is a Graflex Focal Plane Shutter. There are minor differences between cameras and year of manufacture. The major most difference occurred after your cameras were made.

The slow running is due to dried out grease in the roller bushings, left side of the camera, and dry wind gears and idler block ends, right side of the camera.

Anniversary Service manual:
http://www.southbristolviews.com/pics/Graphic/manual-pdf/AnniversaryService1.pdf

The Pre Anniversary will be similar. If the tension roller lock is not removed properly unrepairable damage will result.

Lay the camera bed down, top away from you, and remove the 5 or 6 screws around the perimeter of the back paying attention to what screw goes where as they are different sizes and lengths which varies from model to model.
Lift the back off the body and inspect the curtain.
If the curtain has come unbonded from the roller, easy repair; if the curtain has broken it may be repairable depending on where the break is and the condition of the curtain.

Graflex/Graphic standard:
1. With the tension on its lowest setting and curtain wound to O, tripping the shutter results in the curtain closing and locking, wind key will only turn in the direction of the wind arrow, with the camera in any position.
Post pictures using an image hosting service.
2. With the tension on its highest setting the curtain should wind to its smallest aperture and lock.

Initial tension for 1 to be true is 4 to 10 turns of the tension spring setting. If more than 10 turns are required to get the curtain to operate there is likely a problem with the bushings or gears or the spring is weak, unlikely.
If condition 2 is not obtainable the initial tension is too high.

When both condition are met speeds should be correct but there is no guarantee they will be.
check your private message.
elanphoto

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

45PSS: Thank you very much for the detailed directions and reference guide--everything I needed to get these guys going again! Now I just need to take a deep breath and ....have at it

Wish me luck,

Best to you,
Keith
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: