Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kalart rangefinder problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaulK

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 2:22 am    Post subject: Kalart rangefinder problem Reply with quote

I've adjusted lots of Kalart rangefinders, but I'm having a problem I could use some help with. This is on a 4x5 Pacemaker Speed with a side-mounted rangefinder.

When I start to rack the lens outwards, the image does not start moving until I've turned the focusing wheel a bit, and the lens has already moved away from infinity focus.

I've disassembled the housing, and when I watch the various moving parts, including the prism, they seem to start moving immediately. Still, the image does not move at first. Nothing appears to be stuck. The long arm inside the camera also starts moving as soon as I start racking the lens out.

I have not been able to get the adjustment right for the rangefinder for the included 127mm lens, and this is probably the reason. Obviously, something is stuck, or out of adjustment in a way that I don't understand.

And here's something a bit embarrassing that might be related to the problem: to try to understand what was going on, and to make sure nothing had seized, I removed the screw that holds the main mechanism of the rangefinder to the camera. Everything looked all right, but a tiny rod fell into my hand when I pulled the piece off (looks like steel, about 1 mm in diameter and 10mm long, at a guess). I could see no place for it, and when I re-assembled the rangefinder, it worked just as it had.

I'd be grateful for any pointers. I don't have the repair manual, and would rather not have to order one and wait for it to arrive in the mail. Is it available online? Does anyone know if there are images available of the inside of one of these, so I can figure out if this little rod belongs somewhere, or was just a gift?
PaulK

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played around until I figured out that it was the actuator arm that was the problem. It was not locked in the right position on the shaft coming out of the rangefinder. I may have to do some final tweaking in the morning, but I'm pretty sure I've got it fixed.

(I feel like I'm just writing to myself here, but maybe someone with a similar problem will come across this.)
PaulK

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh! The little rod was from the top end of the rangefinder housing, meant for the rangefinder mechanism to slip onto when assembling. It slid right back in.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: