Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help me to find a repairman for an old AUTOGRAFLEX

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Other Graflex Camera Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
avtalyonshuki

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Help me to find a repairman for an old AUTOGRAFLEX Reply with quote

Hello all
I have an AUTOGRAFLEX about 100 years old and I'm looking for someone to fix it.
It needs a new curtain and also the shutter release won't activate the curtains'it just releases the mirror. Or perhaps this it how it should work and the curtains are operated seperately by the M lever?

It also needs a new roll of curtains since it is all pinholed.

The repairman might be from Europe as well from the U.S.

I'm afraid to cause it damage by doing it myself.

I have contacted Frank Marshman which his name is wide spread on the forums but after one mail connection has stopped.

thanks
Avital-from Israel
45PSS

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in California, US. A.
Labor would be $200
New shutter curtain material, if needed $125 (approximately).
The existing curtain can be repaired or recoated provided the base material is not torn or deteriorated.

Graflex has two conditions for its focal plane shutters:
1. with the curtain at O and the tension setting at 1 (lowest setting) the curtain should close and lock with the camera in any position when the shutter is released. Lock means the wind key will turn in the direction of the wind arrow only.
2. with the tension set to 6 (highest setting) the curtain should wind to the smallest aperture (1/8 ).

When these two conditions are met the shutter speeds should be correct but many of these old cameras are worn enough that there is little to no change in speed at the various tension settings, only speed change when a different aperture is selected. I can only guarantee the two conditions are met and that the curtain is light tight.

The Auto Graflex is a Reflex camera, see the operating manual linked at the Reflex Help heading or the copy at
http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/graflex_8.html

The early versions of the camera have a wheel just under the H lever. The wheel is spring loaded with two holes marked I and T. The later versions have a slide bar with the I and T positions.
In the I position, either type, a pin on the under side of the wheel or slide bar contacts the M lever whenever the release lever is depressed and the mirror has cleared the image path.
In the T position the pin on the wheel or slide bar does not contact the M lever resulting in the mirror only moving when the side release is depressed.
With the curtain at O this allows for time exposures with minimal vibration.

Ian Grant posts in the Reflex Help section on occasion and frequently on
http://www.apug.org/forums/home.php He is someone that may be able to help you with your camera or know of someone closer to you as he is in Europe also.
avtalyonshuki

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply.
well,if I had a slight hope that the camera is fine then the hope is gone

Anyway shipping to the states little cheaper and faster than to Europe.Don't know why..

If you would like to fix the camera,as I understand, please contact me to
a*********n@gmail.com
and we will discuss this further.
Thanks
Avital
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Other Graflex Camera Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: