Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kalart "focus-scope" alternative

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cybertrash

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: Kalart "focus-scope" alternative Reply with quote

I've read about the so-called "focus-scope" from Kalart, which seems to be a magnifying collapsible eyepiece that screws to the window of the Kalart Rangefinder. My Speed Graphic has a side-mounted rangefinder and I find it somewhat awkward to use as ,due to the viewing distance, it can sometimes be difficult to align my eye correctly. Thus, one of these devices would be ideal for me, but they seem very difficult to find. As such I was wondering, do you know if there are any alternatives that aren't quite as rare or "vintage". They don't necessarily have to be magnifying, but something with an eyepiece that I could rest my eye against (and block out stray light) would be great.
BrianShaw

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Kalart "focus-scope" alternative Reply with quote

Cybertrash wrote:
I've read about the so-called "focus-scope" from Kalart, which seems to be a magnifying collapsible eyepiece that screws to the window of the Kalart Rangefinder. My Speed Graphic has a side-mounted rangefinder and I find it somewhat awkward to use as ,due to the viewing distance, it can sometimes be difficult to align my eye correctly. Thus, one of these devices would be ideal for me, but they seem very difficult to find. As such I was wondering, do you know if there are any alternatives that aren't quite as rare or "vintage". They don't necessarily have to be magnifying, but something with an eyepiece that I could rest my eye against (and block out stray light) would be great.

I don't know of an alternative. I had similar interest and bought one on ebay recently, only to find out that they work with the black Kalart but not the silver-colored (earlier) rangefinder. The black Kalart has threads in the eyepiece to screw in the focu-scope but the earlier on does not.

If there is an alternative (maybe a home-made tube of cardboard??) I'd be interested too!
Cybertrash

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Kalart "focus-scope" alternative Reply with quote

BrianShaw wrote:
I don't know of an alternative. I had similar interest and bought one on ebay recently, only to find out that they work with the black Kalart but not the silver-colored (earlier) rangefinder. The black Kalart has threads in the eyepiece to screw in the focu-scope but the earlier on does not.

If there is an alternative (maybe a home-made tube of cardboard??) I'd be interested too!

Just out of curiosity (if you don't mind), how much did the focus-scope end up costing?

I entertained the thought of some sort of angle finder for a 35mm camera, but that would probably end up being a bit too complicated for my liking.
BrianShaw

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Kalart "focus-scope" alternative Reply with quote

Cybertrash wrote:
Just out of curiosity (if you don't mind), how much did the focus-scope end up costing?

About $25, including shipping.
Henry

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:39 am    Post subject: Re: Kalart "focus-scope" alternative Reply with quote

BrianShaw wrote:
The black Kalart has threads in the eyepiece to screw in the focu-scope but the earlier on does not.

I've wondered about this. My Century, serial 523213 (1954), has a black Kalart, serial D67266, but the eyepiece is not threaded. What's the story?

These Focus-Scopes do come up on the auction site now and then, and I would have bid on one if my Kalart had the threaded eyepiece. Of course, the Scope is only as good as the calibration of the Kalart, otherwise you're better off using the gg with a loupe.
BrianShaw

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. Mr research indicated that all black Kalarts had threaded eyepiece. There must be more to the story than we know!
45PSS

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen solid tube eyepiece extensions go for that amount in the past and the spring loaded two piece tube focus spot go for twice that amount in the past.

According to http://lommen9.home.xs4all.nl/focuspot/index.html it fits the black Model E only. I have no idea how to tell if your black Kalart is an E or not unless it is the eyepiece threading.
Henry

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm assuming that mine is a "D" model, since that's the first digit of the serial number.
BrianShaw

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

45PSS wrote:
I've seen solid tube eyepiece extensions go for that amount in the past and the spring loaded two piece tube focus spot go for twice that amount in the past.

According to http://lommen9.home.xs4all.nl/focuspot/index.html it fits the black Model E only. I have no idea how to tell if your black Kalart is an E or not unless it is the eyepiece threading.

Yes, I got a good buy. I shopped for a long time to get a good buy. This one is spring-loaded and fairly clean (as clean as one could expect for somehting this old, I suppose).

Too bad my research wasn't exceptional in this case because my rangefinder is not black at all... so it doesn't matter if I have a "D" or an "E"! All I ended up with is another camera gizmo to sell... and I HATE selling camera gizmos.
1banjo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK
on some of the older Speeds they had a flash mount that
went over the rangerfinder that also is threaded for the
tube eyepiece extensions

ALSO the black Model only has like 1 thread in it ! so maybe
strip out!

But some of mine have never had a tube eyepiece extensions
in then & don't like to start!! just may need to clean out the
thread to get it to start!

BUT if all you need is a tube go to some thing an ACE or hobby
store they have hobby tubing ! get one that just goes over the
out side & some glue!

BUT not HOT GLUE in SW Kansas it get to hot in my car in the
summer & hot glue comes off !!
45PSS

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

measure the thread and tap the window port. The glass should be removable.
bretpim

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:26 pm    Post subject: 3D-printable Kalart FocusScope Reply with quote

I have just posted the design of a 3D-printable focusable FocusScope at Thingiverse
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: