Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Crown Graphic RF isn't attached to lens board

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
PeterEavis



Joined: 06 Jan 2013
Posts: 3
Location: New York, NY

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:55 am    Post subject: Crown Graphic RF isn't attached to lens board Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post here. What a great resource. I've learned a lot by reading around on graflex.org. But now I need to ask a question.

I am having a great time with my recently acquired Crown Graphic. I decided to try and use the rangefinder (it has the TOP-MOUNTED one). It isn't working -- the two images don't move at all when focusing. The rangefinder "cam" DOES seem to be in there (I lifted up the flap and looked). The problem seems to be that the wire/thin arm that runs from the rangefinder to the lensboard is not attached. I see the small silver bracket on the lens board where it should be mounted. But there is no obvious way to re-attach the rangefinder to that bracket.

Does anyone have any advice on how to fix this?

Have you dealt with the same problem?

I am in NYC. Is there anywhere here that's likely able to fix this at reasonable cost? If not, is there somewhere further afield?

Many thanks,
Peter
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
45PSS



Joined: 28 Sep 2001
Posts: 3196
Location: Mid Peninsula, Ca.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://cameraeccentric.com/html/info/graflex_4.html

Quote:
I lifted up the flap and looked

Do you mean the cam door?

Quote:
The problem seems to be that the wire/thin arm that runs from the rangefinder to the lensboard is not attached. I see the small silver bracket on the lens board where it should be mounted

The rangefinder does not attach to a lens board. A solenoid might have been mounted on the lens board. See the guidebook linked above, page 8.

There should be an actuator attached to the left rear of the yoke which is Graflex speak for rails in most of their publications. The actuator should contact a plastic plunger in the end of a tube that ends at the bed hinge. With a cam in the cam slot the plunger should remain in contact with the actuator from fully retracted rails through rails extended via the focus knob to approximately 3/4 to 7/8 inch. If there is a cam installed and the plunger does not move then there is a problem with the rangefinder.

Cam installation is on page 15.

Read the complete guidebook.
_________________
The best camera ever made is the one that YOU enjoy using and produces the image quality that satifies YOU.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
PeterEavis



Joined: 06 Jan 2013
Posts: 3
Location: New York, NY

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, 45PSS!

I am new to the terminology! I actually meant yoke not lens board in my original post. The plunger has detached from the bracket on the yoke. So my question would be: Is that a relatively simple fix? Has anyone here had this happen and remedied it themselves or had it fixed by someone, preferably in NYC?

Yes, I meant cam door.

Thanks again.

Best,
Peter

45PSS wrote:
http://cameraeccentric.com/html/info/graflex_4.html

Quote:
I lifted up the flap and looked

Do you mean the cam door?

Quote:
The problem seems to be that the wire/thin arm that runs from the rangefinder to the lensboard is not attached. I see the small silver bracket on the lens board where it should be mounted

The rangefinder does not attach to a lens board. A solenoid might have been mounted on the lens board. See the guidebook linked above, page 8.

There should be an actuator attached to the left rear of the yoke which is Graflex speak for rails in most of their publications. The actuator should contact a plastic plunger in the end of a tube that ends at the bed hinge. With a cam in the cam slot the plunger should remain in contact with the actuator from fully retracted rails through rails extended via the focus knob to approximately 3/4 to 7/8 inch. If there is a cam installed and the plunger does not move then there is a problem with the rangefinder.

Cam installation is on page 15.

Read the complete guidebook.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
45PSS



Joined: 28 Sep 2001
Posts: 3196
Location: Mid Peninsula, Ca.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.southbristolviews.com/pics/Graphic/manual-pdf/TRFService.pdf

The plunger is not attached to the yoke actuator. The RF tube runs across the top and down the left side of the body ending at the bed hinge. Top right- spring with plunger, slot for cam to move in, plunger, 42 balls and 42 spacers arranged alternating, plunger with retaining cap.

The cap frequently comes off and the balls and spacers pour out of the tube. Somewhere in the distant past is a post with the measurements for the balls and spacers.

If a cam is in the slot then run the rails out about 2 inches as stated in the guidebook then push the cam to your right until it reaches the end of the slot.

If it will not move then remove the top as described in paragraph 3.2 step a linked service manual page 2. Try again. Determine what is out of place jamming the movement as the mirror and optical viewfinder parallax correction should move in conjunction with the cam.

If it does move then check the plunger to see if it extended. If the plunger did not extend or the cam rests at the camera left side (right side when looking into the cam housing) cam pushed left and spring tension pushes it back right regardless of rail position then the balls and spacers or a portion of them are missing.
_________________
The best camera ever made is the one that YOU enjoy using and produces the image quality that satifies YOU.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
PeterEavis



Joined: 06 Jan 2013
Posts: 3
Location: New York, NY

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, 45PSS. It seems like it is beyond easy repair after following your pointers.

Best,
Peter

45PSS wrote:
http://www.southbristolviews.com/pics/Graphic/manual-pdf/TRFService.pdf

The plunger is not attached to the yoke actuator. The RF tube runs across the top and down the left side of the body ending at the bed hinge. Top right- spring with plunger, slot for cam to move in, plunger, 42 balls and 42 spacers arranged alternating, plunger with retaining cap.

The cap frequently comes off and the balls and spacers pour out of the tube. Somewhere in the distant past is a post with the measurements for the balls and spacers.

If a cam is in the slot then run the rails out about 2 inches as stated in the guidebook then push the cam to your right until it reaches the end of the slot.

If it will not move then remove the top as described in paragraph 3.2 step a linked service manual page 2. Try again. Determine what is out of place jamming the movement as the mirror and optical viewfinder parallax correction should move in conjunction with the cam.

If it does move then check the plunger to see if it extended. If the plunger did not extend or the cam rests at the camera left side (right side when looking into the cam housing) cam pushed left and spring tension pushes it back right regardless of rail position then the balls and spacers or a portion of them are missing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
45PSS



Joined: 28 Sep 2001
Posts: 3196
Location: Mid Peninsula, Ca.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Missing parts: contact Fred Lustig in Reno Nevada. He is in his late 80's or early 90's. Available via telephone (be aware of time zone differences) or by U.S.P.S. Search engine him to get the contact info which may be buried in an old post here.

Stuck, not needing parts: you can send it to me if you cannot find a repair shop in your area to service it.
_________________
The best camera ever made is the one that YOU enjoy using and produces the image quality that satifies YOU.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group