Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Want to investigate

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pfiltz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:03 pm    Post subject: Want to investigate Reply with quote

in getting a stronger lens [longer focal lenth] for my newly acquired Speed Graphic. I'm being told that the current lens on this fella, is a fairly cheap wide angle, which is fine with me, since I've only shot 2 pieces of film with it to date.

The lens and lens board stuff confuses me. I "think" I can put any mfg lens on my camera as long as it fits my lens board? Does my lens board have some type of specific name, I can reference when buying a stronger lens?

Can someone tell me in plain hillbilly language how do I go about getting a stronger lens, so I don't have to place the camera in someones lap, if I want to shoot a portrait?

Appreciate it. I've provided an image of the front of the camera for those who would need to know. If you need further info, I'll try my best to provide it.

[img][/img]
BrianShaw

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. That is not a "cheap" lens. It is an older commercial lens of decent quality and was used for years by many people making money by the trade of photography.

2. The lens board is a 4 inch by 4 inch Graflex "C" board.

3. Just about any "reasonable" focal length lens will work. Generally one buys a board (or makes a board) and drills it for the lens/shutter rather than buying a lens/shutter to fit the board they already have. That said, the board you currently have will fit a Size 0 shuttered lens like you'll find on a lot of 150 mm (or so) lenses.

4. Replacing the lens will often result in an inability to close up the camera again unless you specifically shop for a very small diameter lens.

5. If your focal plane shutter is working you also have the option of buying, installing, and using a barrel-mount lens -- one without shutter.

6. As a guy named "Dan" would say... read the information on this site and educate yourself as well as asking question.

p.s. Sorry, but I don't speak hillbilly.
pfiltz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Appreciate it Brian.

The focal plane shutter is really sluggish, I'm not sure I want to in that direction

Yep, I've been reading threads all over the forum this a.m.
BrianShaw

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

p.s. For portraiture you might have the wrong camera, in general. The 127 is a wide lens but even with a 135 or 152 Optar it is still too wide (my opinion) for anything but environmental portraiture. I've mounted a couple of 190 mm lenses on my Graphic and been satisfied but the camera won't colose on them and I didn't want to recalibrate the rangefinder so focus using ground glass was used -- not a problem except slow and requires caemra on tripod.
45PSS

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are displaying the front standard of an Anniversary Speed Graphic with a 127mm Kodak Ektar lens in a Graphex full sync shutter. There is a Heliand Research solenoid attached so that the shutter can be tripped with an external flash handle (flash bulb type).
This linked manual will tell you what all those doodads are for if you haven't figured them out already.
http://www.southbristolviews.com/pics/Graphic/manual-pdf/Anniversary.pdf and this one http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/graflex_11.html
will tell you how to operate most shutters associated with the lens for this type of camera.

http://graflex.org/speed-graphic/lenses.html#EktarLenses the lens is from 1945. It was the best money could buy at the time and few lens have exceeded its image quality since.

The lens board for these cameras are easy to make and are not that common on the used market. An existing board can have its shutter mount hole enlarged or a reducing spacer made to adapt just about any lens to the camera. Lens are designed to cover a given format. The only way to know what that is is to look it up in the manufacturers data. Lens designed for smaller formats will not cover the 4x5 format leaving a circular image in the middle of the negative or the corners cut off. A portrait lens for 4x5 is usually is in 150mm to 210mm.
BrianShaw

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

45PSS wrote:
The lens board for these cameras ... are not that common on the used market.

I believe you made a typo and meant to say "... not that UNCOMMON on the used market." Both original and aftermarket boards are regularly found on eBay.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: