Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie wanting to scan 3.25 x 4.25 film

View previous topic :: View next topic  
peter k

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Newbie wanting to scan 3.25 x 4.25 film Reply with quote

Just got a flatbed scanner (Epson) with standard 4x5 film holders and need to make a mask for 3.25 x 4.25 film. I just don't know where to begin. I could easily cut something out of a manila folder, or black card board and then tape the film down, but that seems so ... for want of a better word that I can print here... bla.

I thought of using two 4x5 film sheets. Cutting the bottom one to hold the 3x4 negative, (with appx 3x4 opening) and the second to be cut to its actual size so that it positions it correctly and easily. They would be glued together. Then cutting a piece of glass to place on top to keep the negative flat.
Would this work?

Yet.. there are those of you who have done this all the time... what do you use or suggest?
Henry

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever I scan those older film sizes, I just lay the negative(s) on the scanner platen. I find those holders to be a major PITA anyway.

My old reliable Epson Expression 1600 just died , and I'm about to order a V700, but it's TOS at B&H. What Epson model do you have?
peter k

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah .. KISS.. but what about the 'flare' from the unblocked light?
Won't that change the quality of the scan?

Henry... I just received a v-700. I was trying to bid on e-bay for a Epson 4990, twice, but the bid kept going up to within $100 of a refurbished V-700 with free shipping, soooo.... went there instead.
It was the same couple of bidders and they were buying CMC's camera's and scanners. Probably to resale. So felt that there was no future there.

Epson has one now again @ $415, and a V-750... which is to pricy for me. They may be unloading their V-700's since they came out with the V-750.
Check there site... at...

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/consumer/consDetail.jsp?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&oid=63068980
Henry

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read comparisons between the V700 and V750, and I'm not prepared to pay the higher price for what the 750 offers (B&H wants $850 for the 750 vs. $520 for the 700). I wouldn't use Epson's software, or the others that come bundled with either model, but instead have purchased the professional version of VueScan (www.hamrick.com). (Back story: when I got my new iMac, Minolta had gone out of the consumer end and wasn't issuing updates for the new Mac OS X v.10.6. El screwo! But then my son found VueScan, and let me tell you, it's the end! Works with just about any scanner and computer ever made, and if you buy the professional version you can continually upgrade at no extra cost. Sweet deal! I immediately began using it not only for the Minolta DiMage Scan Dual IV, but for my 1600 too. It's far more intuitive than the Epson and old Minolta software).

I never had any problem with light leakage or flare on the 1600, so if the 700 is built the same, and judging from its appearance and dimensions I suspect that it is, there shouldn't be an issue. And I plan to keep on using the film frames that came with the 1600, from what I read of the inconvenience of the 700 frames. But I have to get the scanner first! (BTW, Epson's refurbished price for the 700, $415, is only $105 less than B&H's price for a new one, so I'm going with the new.)

Last edited by Henry on Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laying the negative flat on the scanner glass with a piece of glass on top will result in newton rings.

Laying the negative flat on the scanner glass with the emulsion side down and a thin plastic frame around the edge to keep the negative flat should work as will taping it down with painters tape (no residue tape) but the heat from the lamp may cause tape residue on the scanner glass. (been there, done that).

Epson's software is quite good and if you already have a Pro version that will operate your scanner, fine. You will be hard pressed to get better with viewscan than epson bundled.

What died on you scanner? Lamp? Won't recognize?
Henry

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was either the lamp or the main board, according to the Epson repair station here in town. BTW, I never used glass, thus never had a problem with Newton rings. The 1600 apparently had enough depth of field to accommodate moderate curvature. Tape would be messy, but in a pinch I guess there'd be no alternative, but as I said, I've never had the problem. All my transparency/negative scans were clean.

Epson's driver software is fine. But the VueScan is better, IMO. And it's very convenient to be using the same software for both my scanners, rather than having to switch back and forth, even if updated software were available for my Minolta. And when I bought my iMac, Epson had not yet issued an upgrade for the 1600 on OS X v. 10.6, which is another reason why I went with VueScan.
45PSS

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I had a scanner that would not run on my OS Vuescan would be my go to resource also.
Henry

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

B&H notified me today that the V700 is back in stock, and I've ordered one. Same price as before ($519.95, free UPS ground shipping). Delivery scheduled for 2/7/12. After I learn how to use it, I'll post back here with comments.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Film Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: