Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Flash / Super

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim Povlick

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:12 am    Post subject: Flash / Super Reply with quote

So I have a new (to me) Super with the wind-up shutter. I have the Y-cable and a 3 cell flash (aka. light sabre). It was surprising that one has to leave the 3D cells in the Graflite even though the 24V-batts are in place. I take it the 3D cells add to the 48V BC circuit?

Also it seems one has to leave the shutter set on X and not M. That seems a bit odd as I thought the solenoid would add the delay but it didn't seem to work out that way. This is with the shutter set at 1/125'th. At that speed the flash seemed to be well timed with the M setting. Is this correct?

The above was using the red-button on the camera. When using the red button on the strobe to trigger images were aboiut 1/2 stop darker. I didn't try 1/60 speed but probably should have.

Thanks for any comments....

_ .. --
Tim
45PSS

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://graflex.org/helpboard/viewtopic.php?t=5114

The 45V battery supply in the camera body operates the solenoid only. The higher voltage of two batteries in series assures longevity of the batteries and reduces the need to change batteries under heavy usage.

If you have a VOM set it to read current, .5A scale and read across the batteries with the door removed. There should be a quick high current of .1A to .2A then reduce to zero. Any current after 10 to 15 seconds is leakage in the capacitors and batteries left in the camera with the battery door on will run the batteries down in a few weeks. Taking the batteries out of the camera when it is not in use will result in the batteries lasting several months under heavy usage to a few years under light usage.

Looking at the schematic one side of the shutter contacts is common to both X and M sync, the shutter case. There are two contacts inside the Graphic 1000 shutter. The M sync contact is positioned so that it makes contact when the shutter blades are less than 1/3 of maximum open. The X sync contact is positioned so that it makes contact when the shutter blades are 99% of full open. The X-M sync lever selects which contact inside the shutter is connected to the side socket.

The batteries in the flash fire the flash bulb only when the camera button is pressed or the shutter is tripped manually. When the red button on the flash is pressed it fires the flash bulb and trips the solenoid in the camera which cannot be adjusted for flash sync like the external solenoids can.

See http://cameraeccentric.com/html/info/graflex_12.html for operation of the Graphic 1000 shutter;
http://cameraeccentric.com/html/info/graflex_6.html for operation of the camera body.
Tim Povlick

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2011 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello C.

Many thanks for these details! I was hoping the 45-vbatt would be used for the flash bulb and one could drop the 3D cells and all the extra weight.

Checking current draw, as described, shows microamps of leakage on a 300 mA meter. It was so low I had to double check it - firing the solenoid showed a huge spike in current.

Looks like one will have to trip from the camera and not the flash guns red button. Oh well...

Thanks again,

Tim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Flash Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: