Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Capping Shutter Repair

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kderickson

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:43 pm    Post subject: Capping Shutter Repair Reply with quote

I have a Compact that features the capping shutter which is a second curtain that operates during exposure. Does anyone have a repair manual for an early Graflex that features the capping shutter?
45PSS

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know of no repair manual for Graflex SLR cameras. Member bertsaunders use to do repairs and still provides his service information upon request. I have rewritten the info to read more like a tech/repair manual. Look up bert in the member list or one of his posts to get his email info or leave me your email address in a private message to get my version.

If I had the camera in my hands I could figure out what is wrong.

The oldest cameras are assembled using hand made screws. Hand made screws are inconsistent in size therefore when disassembling an old camera it is necessary to note the position the screw came from for reassembly. The body is thin Mahogany and screw holes strip out easily especially on 90+ year old cameras.

The mirror return spring is inside a cap on the left side of the camera. The wind controls are on the right. The curtain aperture and tension setting have no effect on the mirror. The curtain is however dependent on the mirror position. The curtain tensioner is independent of the curtain and mirror. I assume the capping curtain locks out the main curtain when it is not in correct position and may lock out the mirror return if it is not in the closed position.
kderickson

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to contact Bert and he sent me some drawings of the capping shutter roller arrangement. I'm not convinced it's going to be repairable.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Reflex Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: