Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Home Portrait Graflex restoration

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alfie

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently acquired a Home Portrait Graflex, which is a camera I've been interested in for a long time as I enjoy shooting 5x7. It appears to be the last version, judging by the information in Richard Paine's "A Review of Graflex".

The camera is actually quite clean and in good condition, however, the material of the viewing hood is dry and has split along some of the folds (but it's still usable) and the outer layer of the bellows is separated along the first fold (closest to the body) causing a light leak.

I'm wondering what I should use to condition the viewing hood and bellows material (I think they're made of leather?) and how to approach fixing the bellows where they leak.

I especially want to make sure I don't use anything that would do more harm than good, i.e. something that might cause the bellows leather to separate from the cloth lining. Could I use mink oil to condition the leather?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Alf
bertsaunders

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2004 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alf,
Neatsfoot Oil is what I have used for over 20 years, it will clean and preserve, and soften! On the bellows (before the neatsfoot oil) Gaffers tape is probably the best and easiest solution, until you can afford to replace the bellows! Would not use gaffers tape on the hood though, as it usually makes the hood to stiff to fold correctly...need to replace the outer skin completely for that problem! Bert

t.r.sanford

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the separation you mention can be rectified by regluing the bellows material to the lining or the frame, you might try "Pliobond" adhesive. It's designed for flexible materials like leather and rubber; I think it originally was developed by Goodyear. Useful stuff!
45PSS

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any brand "latex neoprene based contact cement".
An old film changing bag or rubberized dark cloth.
Cut cloth to pattern (taper) of bellows using inside measurements.
Extend bellows to full limit with them on or off the camera, clamp if needed.
Do not start seam of repair material on top of the existing bellows seams to avoid excessive bulk.
Apply the contact cement to a workable area of the inside of the bellows.
Lay the repair cloth in squarely and press all the air bubbles out.
Apply glue to the next area and repeat with cloth.
If doing the entire bellows, do one long side then move on to the next.
Allow to dry for 30-45minutes. Remove all excess glue along edges by rolling with fingers (it comes off easily).
Fold bellows carefully to origional folds and close completely.
Allow glue to cure for 24 hours.
Treat bellows with leather conditioner mentioned in previous post or use Lexol or Lemon Pledge.
I have done this full lenght to a camera with 28 inch bellows and it only added 3/16 inch folded thickness.
Mink oil will seal the pores of leather and is used to waterproof not soften.
Charles

camz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:54 pm    Post subject: Home Portrait Versions Reply with quote

The OP mentions different versions of the Home Portrait.

How many versions were there, and how do you differentiate between them?

Are there any advantages to one version over another?
Les

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure who or what "the OP" is, but other than incremental changes over time, I can think of two version of the HP Graflex, the normal ones that have a way of tripping off more than one shutter slit at a time. (this in effect gives you shutter speeds below 1/10), and then there were the special HP Graflex camera bodies that were used for Big Berthas.

I'm sure the early Big Berthas used stock HPGs but later Graflex made them without the lower shutter speeds and I think a higher shutter speed. At least one batch of these cameras were made without a front bed or the machining of the body to accept a front bed, since they would be used on a platform with a huge lens anyway. These don't make for nice portrait cameras.
tocorro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much does Olan Mills pay their portrait photographers? I was asked to go in tomorrow and fill out an application from the regional manager... But I am currently an independant contractor with another portrait studio as a sales associate and i hate this job.. i want to be a photographer... please someone tell me about how much would i be getting paid with olan mills, and if i should make the switch! Thanks!

Last edited by tocorro on Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Les

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't you ask Olan Mills? Call their main office if you feel you can't ask your interviewer.
pinky

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tocorro wrote:
How much does Olan Mills pay their portrait photographers? I was asked to go in tomorrow and fill out an application from the regional manager... But I am currently an independant contractor with another portrait studio as a sales associate and i hate this job.. i want to be a photographer... please someone tell me about how much would i be getting paid with olan mills, and if i should make the switch! Thanks!

Have you thought about going into business for yourself? You can start out shooting part-time and still keep your day job, offer a higher quality product to your clients, and make more money. A ballsy move for sure, but one which will pay off on so many levels later.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Reflex Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: