Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fresnel View Plate Question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnF

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 4:36 pm    Post subject: Fresnel View Plate Question Reply with quote

I have an 1898 5x7 Rochester Premo Rev Back that is in perfect working order. I plan to place a thin (40 mil) Fresnel lens between the ground glass and the lens (positioned exactly like my Graphic View Ektalite focusing screen) to improve the luminosity of the focusing panel.

I have heard that this could interfere with focus accuracy due to disparity in the location of the film plane vs ground glass. Frankly this doesn't make sense to me. First, wouldn't depth of field take care of any slight difference in the location of the focusing screen vs. film plane? Secondly, even if you were at maximum aperture with minimal depth, as in extended bellows close ups, I can't imagine 40 mil difference being significant.

Comments?
Les

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine met Dr. Rudolf Kingslake, the last lens pioneer. He ran the Hawkeye works and Kodak for decades. They brought him back during the cuban missle crisis. His written several books on lens history and lens design.

My friend asked him with a convertible lens, does it really make a difference if the single cell is in front or behind the aperture?

He said, "Why don't you try it and find out."

You've got very good logic behind your reasoning. I could argue that the depth of field at the film plane isn't large even stopped down. But the truth is in the film. Try it and see what happens.
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are thinking of depth of focus, depth of field's evil twin. When one is large, the other is small. At infinity, depth of field is large, depth of focus is nil.

If you must add a fresnel, put it behind the ground glass. That is, between you and the ground glass, not between the ground glass and the lens.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> View Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: