Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cleaning flashbulb bases

View previous topic :: View next topic  
alecj

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject: Cleaning flashbulb bases Reply with quote

I was lucky to find a large stash of #11 bulbs. However, a number of them have some mild corrosion on the base. Has anybody had experience cleaning those bases? I'm especially interested in avoiding setting one of those suckers off while handling!
tsgrimm

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/109785-REG/Kaiser_206323_Battery_Contact_Cleaner.html

How about one of these. Like a mechanical lead pencil with strands of fiberglass instead of lead. Not cheap, but they have other uses.
alecj

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I was thinking of something like that, or a rubber eraser. I just don't know how to avoid static electricity handling these bulbs. The crud is not bad and should wipe off.
tsgrimm

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess that you could just ground yourself to a COLD water pipe with a wrist strap like the computer repair shops sell. Easily made from some old unused wire laying around and a Bulldog or Alligator clip.

Last edited by tsgrimm on Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Les

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Radio shack sells the same type of fiberglass pencil, without the brass collar for about 1/5 the price.

If the corrosion were bad and / or the upcomming shot valuable, i'd usea worn out scotchbrite pad normally found next to the SOS/ Brillo / Chore Boy scouring pads in your grocer.

The worn versions are more flexible and can get into the grooves.

Use it damp to cut down on the static "POOOF"
alecj

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Les. That's what I will do. I like the idea of the wet application of the pads.
graphicdave

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a #3 go off in my hand while pressing it into a Graflite (I learned to not accidently press the red button on the Graflite while inserting the bulb!). It's a nasty experience. To be on the safe side while cleaning, wear a leather glove on the hand that holds the bulb. The likelihood of one going off while cleaning is remote but better safe than burnt!
Dave
Discoman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

graphicdave wrote:
I had a #3 go off in my hand while pressing it into a Graflite (I learned to not accidently press the red button on the Graflite while inserting the bulb!). It's a nasty experience. To be on the safe side while cleaning, wear a leather glove on the hand that holds the bulb. The likelihood of one going off while cleaning is remote but better safe than burnt!
Dave

wow that sucks
i blew one up when i was insterting it-slightly melted to my hand
i didn't notice that my solenoid cord was resting on the metal plate with the lock lever on it
i had removed it from the solenoid to prevent such a thing from happening

try steel wool to clean it
Henry

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted this tip elsewhere in the board, some time ago. I've used a typewriter (remember those?) eraser, of which I still have a couple of different ones: a pencil-shaped one with a brush on the "eraser" end, and a wheel-shaped one, also with a brush attached. At the model railroad (here we go again!) hobby shop, they sell an eraser with an abrasive in it, specifically for the purpose of cleaning track; I've got a couple of those around here someplace, too. Disclaimer: I've never tried to clean flashbulb contacts with any of these, but they do work great on battery contacts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Flash Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: