Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Speed Graphic Rear Shutter Settings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pierson2001

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2002 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I just bought a Pacemaker Speed Graphic and am REALLY excited to start shooting with it. However, the rear shutter isn't working quite as I had expected. When unwound the counter almost shows 0. When wound, it advances to 0, and the shutter is open. Next is T, which I thought was supposed to be open (based on the information in the FAQ) but instead appears closed. When I fire the shutter at T, the shutter advances to 0 and stays open. Next are A, B, and C, which appear to be working as they should. When I wind towards D, I can see the smallest aperature wind past, but I can't wind the camera far enough to click (and stay). It simply unwinds back to C. First: Is there anything wrong with how my camera functions at 0 and T, or am I simply mis-interpreting the FAQ. Second: Is there any way I can fix the Camera so that D functions? Third: What does the little tiny slide button under the release lever do? It just seems to lock the release lever, but I've heard that there is a front shutter / rear shutter switch somewhere - where is it?

THANKS!

--Tim
45PSS

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2002 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://graflex.org/helpboard/viewtopic.php?topic=481&forum=1&3
http://www.craigcamera.com/lit_graflexrepair.htm
Also which model do you have?

[ This Message was edited by: 45PSS on 2002-03-04 22:22 ]
Les

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2002 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it sounds like you have an Anniversary Speed rather than a Pacemaker speed.
Here's how it's supposed to work.
D will always be your fastest shutter for any given tension, the C, B, A.
T, just like on an iris shutter stands for time. 50 years ago you could set it for T (the shutter would be closed) pull the darkslide, then fire the shutter ,it opens and moves to "O" fire the shutter again and it closes to something past "O".

Now in the 21st century most Speed graphics show there age here. I don't have a single mini-speed that can do this at low tension. the spring just poops out.

Near the bottom of the camera is a small knob and a rocker switch. This adjust the tension on the shutter. There is a window with numbers that run from 1-6. 6 is the highest tension. You wind the knob to increase the tension and toggle the switch to bring the tension back down.
to find out what shutter speed you have for a given setting look at the "curtain aperture" table nailed on the camera some where, usually at the top on a 4x5. The apertures run accross (A-D) and the tensions run down (1-6)

When I teach people on using their Speeds for the first time, I usually start them out on the front shutter and tell them that when it comes to the rear shutter, "O" is for Open and "T" is for trouble.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Speed Graphic Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: