Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RH10 wrong size? 4X5 adapter? Graflok?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vincent

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 2:52 am    Post subject: RH10 wrong size? 4X5 adapter? Graflok? Reply with quote

two things: ...bought this nice 6X7 120mm RH10 roll film holder thinking it would fit my 4X5 Crown, but it is apparently too small...need I buy a correctly sized RH10, or is there a 4X5 adapter available for this one...

...and, I have the Graflok back...how does the roll film holder (when properly sized) fit the Graflok--looks like I have to remove the Graflok...
glennfromwy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need the correct one for 4X5. They made sizes to fit 2X3 up to 4X5. To install the roll holder on a Graflok back, press down on the two chrome arms and slide the focus panel off to the right. The roll holder goes where the focus panel was and is held on by sliding the two chrome strips to lock it in place. When you want to replace the focus panel, remove the roll holder, lay the panel in place and slide to the left. The arms should click into place. Pretty simple arrangement. Good luck with your endeavor.

"Wyoming - Where everybody is somebody else's weirdo"
C. Henry

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I have only a 2 x 3 Speed Graphic and an RH8 to fit it, I have seen larger ones and roll holders for the 4 x 5. It appears to me that the difference is only the base plate that fits the back of the camera. The various roll holders appear fairly regularly on the auction site so I would suggest listing the one you have there and using the proceeds from the sale of it to purchase one of the right size. If the width of the base plate is about 3 1/8" you have one for a 2 x 3 camera. Hopefully someone else can give you the width of the base plate of the ones for 3 x 4 and 4 x 5 cameras.

C. Henry
vincent

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for those replies...they verify what I feared as I opened up the package and saw the smaller back, and I guess it's off to eBay to sell...

..however...as I looked through the sites and vendors, I began to think that maybe the Cambo C2 (n?) type of slide-under-the-Graflok might make more sense...any experience with these?...

...one other thing that dawned on me as I researched: the view through any of the Crown finders, including ground glass, is a 4X5 view...how do you compensate your viewing to account for the smaller film window?...or am I missing something with the concept?...
bruiser

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Vincent,

For a quick visual comparison of the roll film backs for 2x3, 3x4 and 4x5 cameras go to the accessories page of my Graflex website and scroll down a bit:
http://graflex.coffsbiz.com/acc.html

You will be able to see the different size mounting plates.

Matching viewfinder masks are available for using the 6x6, 6x7 and 6x9 roll film backs on 4x5 Graphic cameras.

Cheers,
Bruce
45PSS

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Super Speed Graphic with Graphic 22 roll film holder attached.

Sports finder mask made from 1/4 inch foam core. Ground glass to sports frame measurement raito used to determine roll film holder gate to mask demensions.

Previous post with the measurements:
http://graflex.org/helpboard/viewtopic.php?t=5565&highlight=
vincent

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks once again to the community for the replies and advice--I finally get it, though I'm having second thoughts after seeing 45PSS's camera with the sports finder masked. I could do that, and I could also mask the ground glass, but I just don't think I want to go into all that. The whole idea of the 6X7 (and an earlier post about 2X3) was to use my 120mm Patterson tanks for daylight developing, and make life easy for me, but it looks like I'll probably stick with 4X5 and Jobo et al.

ps: Bruiser: quite a site you've got there, and my favorite piece was the Simmons Combat camera with the lens cap that transforms to a viewfinder--eat your heart out, Linhof!
1banjo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey vincent
I know that this mite not be that big of a deal now but
I have been looking for this & just found it in my stuff
Graflex made a clear plastic Sports Viewfinder Mask
that snaps in to your wire Sports finder (like 45PSS
shows ) IT has marks on it for the roll film backs
catalog #9103 also on most graflex press camera
{ not super garphic/ super speed } with the optical
viewfinder you can change the mask in it. go to
http://www.graflex.org/speed-graphic/viewfinder-masks.html
in witch you pick Image Size then lens to get a mask size
so like RH10 { use 2-1/4" x 3-1/4" } with a 127mm lens would
a #9 mask and [i]also I have seen a chart[/i] that showed what mask
to use with tele-lens like a 270mm on a 4x5 would
a #6 mask as of now I can't find this chart

banjo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Accessories Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: