Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lens equivilents, a different perspective?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RichS

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2002 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, it's late at night and my mind has wandered (and wondered).
I've been trying to figure out a way to duplicate the lens coverage I have in 35mm with my 4x5. A 500mm tele is as close as I've been able to think of (but not afford) so far on the tele range for the 4x5. Then I wandered (and wondered) about true differences. The 35 is 24x36mm and the 4x5 is 101x127 (roughly). Close to a 3.5:1 ratio. Now if I can explain this so somone else can uderstand it...
If I use a 380mm lens on the 4x5 (my longest lens), shoot a neg and crop out a 24x36mm section. Wouldn't that be the same as using a 1340mm lens on the 35mm? If I use tri-x in both wouldn't the resolution be pretty much the same? If I was happy with the 35mm neg, wouldn't the cropped section of 4x5 be just about the same? Am I searching for a long lens for nothing? (discounting the benefits of LF). Am I making sense or way off the mark? I'll re-think this tomorrow, but for now it sounded interesting to me and I never heard anyone do a comparison like this before. Right now it makes my 380mm lens seem a whole lot better
Les

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2002 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

everyting sounds good until you get to the resolution part.

I don't know why, but my gut reaction says that an 8x enlargement from a shot taken with say a 1400mm non-cat Nikkor or Minolta will blow the pants off a cropped 8x enlargement from a 380mm Wollensak telephoto. You might not see it as much with Tri-X but you would with Tech Pan or Tmax.
RichS

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2002 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To tell the truth, I really thought the other way around. I figured any tele that long in 35mm wouldn't be that good and it would be stretched all the way to the edges of it's coverage. Even though the 380 is a wollensak (or optar), it's much simpler in design (good or bad?) and would be operating in a very small section of it's center of coverage. So I thought the cropped 380 might actually be sharper?
True about tri-x. I used it only as an example because it was my favorite B&W in 35mm. I did plus-x in 120 and some 35. Haven't yet made up my mind in 4x5...
I'm going to have to give this a test as close as I can. I can only get to 500mm in 35 (unless I want to use an extender) and that would be pretty close to a 150mm on 4x5 cropped. But I'd have to use comparable films. Then there's the question of comparable lenses... Although in that category "comparable" means what I can afford
45PSS

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2002 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[ This Message was edited by: 45PSS on 2005-12-24 20:15 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Large Format Photography All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: