Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

bag magazine repair

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gbogatko

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:00 am    Post subject: bag magazine repair Reply with quote

Hello,

I have a 4x5 bag mag with worn leather -- it probably leaks. It's the only thing I have for a graflex back. The camera is an RB Auto -- all intact, lens clear, shutter smooth. No slotted holders. Sigh....

Is there anyone around that can releather this? I started to take it apart to see what was needed and got cold feet.

Thanks in advance

George
sevo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is nothing much to re-leathering it, it is just a rectangular pouch. Easy to do at home, but a lesson in patience unless you own a leather sewing machine. Any leather workshop can do it from available materials in minutes.
gbogatko

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sevo wrote:
There is nothing much to re-leathering it, it is just a rectangular pouch.

Ahhh. It's the part about detaching the leather that has me hesitant. There appears to be one edge that is being clamped by part of the dark-slide mechanism, and also it looks like the leather is glued on to the rest of the magazine. I'd hate lack of experience (mine) to result in ruining some of the mechanism. There don't seem to be a lot of the 4x5 mags available (and affordable).

George
sevo

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On mine, it was glued all around, and the sheet metal screwed down over it. Bag mags have not much of a mechanism - just a spring, to be exact, so there is not much damage to be done by taking it apart.

Sevo
mwdake

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bag mag I got with my Reflex had holes in the corners.
I took it apart and while leaving the leather bag attached I put a light proof film bag over the leather. After re-assembling the bag mag I now have a light proof bag mag.
It looks kind of cheesy, but it works until I can get a new leather bag made for it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Reflex Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: