Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ground Glass Problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scottophorus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2002 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently bought a Graphic View off a friend, this is my first real experience with large format. The camera is in good shape, except the second layer of glass, the grid, is missing. I replaced it with a piece of window glass I cut to size, is this an acceptable substitute. Also, since I am new to large format, I don't know if it is normal to see two beams of focused light on the glass. Can anyone answer my questions?
bertsaunders

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2002 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not all GG has a grid on it--I have used one that had a thin plastic sheet installed with a grid on it, dont see anything wrong with a sheet of glass, except maybe a bit of distortion, since you are now looking thru 2 pieces of glass!
Dont understand the question your asking about "two beams of focused light on glass"???????? It is not anything that would be considered normal, if thats what you are asking?????? Bert
RichS

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2002 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2002-03-11 11:07, Scottophorus wrote:
I recently bought a Graphic View off a friend, this is my first real experience with large format. The camera is in good shape, except the second layer of glass, the grid, is missing. I replaced it with a piece of window glass I cut to size, is this an acceptable substitute. Also, since I am new to large format, I don't know if it is normal to see two beams of focused light on the glass. Can anyone answer my questions?

I would wonder about that "second layer of glass" and "grid". My first thought is that you may be talking about the fresnel (Ektalite) screen? There is a chance that your back wasn't made for one and if you put one in you'll be throwing off your focusing by moving the GG back a bit. If it's a Graflok back, it probably had an Ektalite. If it's a spring (Graphic) back, it probably did not, so there wouldn't be a second anything, just the GG. If you're talking about a grided GG, that's something else altogether and few backs had them...
The two beams of light you mention may be a reflection from your window glass. That's why backs with no Ektalite only have a GG and no other...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> View Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: