Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2x3 rollfilm holder dimensions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wlkehoe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:30 am    Post subject: 2x3 rollfilm holder dimensions Reply with quote

does anyone happen to have the exact dimensions of the base of a graflex 6x9 rollfilm holder? i'm wondering if by some miracle one would fit my 1938 6.5x9 linhof technika. i was happy to learn 6.5x9 cut film is available in the u.s. (thank you freestyle) but i'd like a break from my rusty single-sheet holders. the dimensions i'm hoping for are 4 3/4x3x3/16"s. a little longer would probably work but no wider and no thicker. the "body" of the back would have to be no more than 2 3/4" wide, centered on the base. none of the older linhof rf backs i've seen pictured look like they have the right sort of base. thank you.
C. Henry

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My RH8 roll film holder which fits a 2 1/4" x 3 1/4 Pacemaker Speed Graphic has a base 5 3/32" long, 3 3/32" wide, and 5/32" thick. These measurements were made with a steel tape measure so are to be considered to be within a tolerance of +/- 1/64". The body of the holder is wider than the base.

C. Henry
wlkehoe

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh well, thanks for checking.
glennfromwy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can post a picture of the camera back and the holder (not inserted), I may have the answer you need.

"Wyoming - Where everybody is somebody else's weirdo"
wlkehoe

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you glenn. it'll be next week before i can borrow a digital camera and get some closeups posted.
wlkehoe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry about the delay glenn. i have several crappy pictures now but i can't for the life of me figure out how to get them into this message (i hate computers.) they will copy but they will not paste.

since my last message, i've learned that there were several pre-war manufacturers of 6x9 backs for 6.5x9 cameras that look like they might fit. the ones i've seen on ebay are rada, plaubel, zeiss and optika. is this what you were thinking? are there other manufacturers i haven't listed? thanks.
pv17vv

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rada made generic plate/sheet/roll holders of every size, shape and model, I also suspect they produced OEM for everyone in the business.

IIRC Rada and Plaubel were the same company, at least financially.

BTW what kind of metal holders do you have ? Is the cross section of the small side a perfect rectangle ? If yes, than it's the model called 'millionfalz' in German. 13x18 pre-war Linhof cameras used these only, maybe 9x12 too.

Georges
wlkehoe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my filmholders are kodak . made in germany is stamped on them. i'm pretty sure both sides of the holders are rectangular but i'll check when i get home from work. they do fit the camera although i can't say they slide in and out easily. oddly enough, i also have a kodak made in usa filmpack adaptor that looks very similar but that either won't fit or would only fit by using force if i cared to try which i don't. its base must be a few millimeters thicker or wider. the small side is a greenish-gray in color rather that the all-black of the filmholders. thank you.
glennfromwy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To post photos you must use a host site, such as Photobucket, then generate the URL/img code from there, which you paste into your post here. Sounds hard but Photobucket is really easy. Anyhoo, there are a number of roll holders made for plate cameras, i.e. Rada, Rollex, Suydam and others I can't immediately think of. There is a difference, depending on which camera it's made for, in the thickness of the lip that slides into the back. There are two thicknesses that I am aware of. One fits the cameras that use Zeiss, Kodak, et al plate holders and one that is thicker like your Kodak pack adapter. That one was probably made for a different camera. After plates went out of fashion roll holders were made to fit almost all cameras, by many manufacturers. I have several roll holders foe my 6.5X9 cm and 9X12 cm cameras. Some are not even marked by a maker. I will go out on a limb and speculate the you need the thin lipped holder. The thin lip is about 1 to 1.5 mm thick. Measure the lip on your plate holders. When buying a holder be sure to ask about this. Don't try to force that pack adapter into the slots. It can do real damage if it doesn't fit. I hope this makes sense and you can understand what I'm trying to describe.

Update: I measured a couple of my roll holders and the lip that slides into the slot is 1 mm thick. These fit my Zeiss, Kodak and an unknown (BeeBee?) 6.5X9 plate cameras.

wlkehoe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks very much, glenn. it all makes perfect sense.
wlkehoe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lips on my filmholders are a hair less than 4mm thick. The lips on the filmpack holder are very slightly thicker, maybe 4.5mm according to my bad ruler and deteriorating eyesight.
Thanks very much for your help, Glenn. I'll try your suggestion about posting pictures when I get some energy back, although they won't do justice to the camera, which is a really nice one.
glennfromwy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some resources that may be helpful. It's best to call these places and explain what you need rather than internet or email.
Midwest Camera Exchange: www.mpex.com Get the phone number from their web site and talk to Jim in the used department. Very helpful.

Keh.com: same thing. Good folks.

Pacific Rim Camera in Oregon - lots of unusual used equipment. Do a search for their web site and phone number or I'll have it in a few days when my purchse comes.

It's obvious you need a thick rim holder. They're out ther but not common. Good luck.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Accessories Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: