Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

wide angle choices

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frank Bunnik

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 7:45 pm    Post subject: wide angle choices Reply with quote

I bought a Crown Graphic recently and I expect it to arrive any day soon. For my Horseman VHR I already have 2 lenses that can be used on the Crown Graphic: a Topcor 150mm and a Rodenstock Sironar N 210mm. I am interested in a modern wide angle lens.

The f/ 5,6 options are big and too expensive for me. An alternative would be an f/6.8 or f/8 90mm or 105 or 115mm. My main interest is landscape. I keep reading that it is difficult to focus a wide angle lens af f/8 in dim light. What are your experiences?

My guess is that a symmar s or apo symmar f/5.6 120mm makes more sense than a grandagon f 6.8 115mm: brighter focussing screen and cheaper filters.

Thanks for your advice,
Frank
www.flickr.com/photos/asialover
Dan Fromm

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank, I use a 65/8 Ilex on my 2x3 Graphics. Its very similar to an f/8 Super Angulon and sees about the same on 2x3 as a 90 will on 4x5.

It isn't easy to compose with, but the problem is mainly that I use a round loupe (formerly an Ednalite Magnifinder, now a Toyo) that won't fit in the corners and so won't give a good idea of what's there. No problem at all focusing in the center of the field.
troublemaker

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much all I do is landscape, and all I have ever had for my Crown Graphics is the 90mm Angulon 6.8. I shoot it loose intending on a small crop as it's not a big coverage lens. However, it is sharp, reasonably easy to focus, and light weight. Average price for a decent example in working shutter, $100. Maybe even on a Pacemaker lens board already. Shoots color quite well with single coating. The Linhof version is the same thing with a Linhof moniker on the shutter face.
I also shoot the 65mm 6.8 on my 23 series Crown backpacking and it is a little jewel. Compared to the Super Angulon I have which is an f~8 lens, the 6.8 is a lot easier to compose and focus. Miss the corners sometimes as Dan suggests. Both lenses focus well open and shoot sharp stopped down.
Another alternative is the Ektar 100mm WA. A little more money, but I doubt much better than the Angulon though I believe they are supposed to have slightly more coverage.
As far as movements, I only use very small if any with the 90 Angulon as the coverage is quite limiting, and the housing and rails of a Crown are not movement friendly with this focal length lens. A little rise, very little side shift, and if you jockey things around just right, you can get a little fwd tilt. Pain in the ass. But that said, A big fast modern WA lens with tons of coverage would be a lot better suited to a nice field camera with appropriate bellows.
Dim light will be a problem no matter what lens you use. I've used flashlights, preset distance scales, guessed, and crossed my fingers, but still haven't got it perfect every time. What does work really good if you don't mind the weight in dim light or setting up in dark light is using a camera with a rangefinder.
Frank Bunnik

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both for your help.

My camera arrived yesterday, a bargain from Keh an it looks pretty good. Bellows are good, groundglass and fresnel are good, so no complaints. Somewhere in the next 10 days I will sell my Horseman VHR and a friendly salesman has, on my request, put a used Rodenstock grandagon 6.8 90mm in reserve for me, should the Horseman be sold.

I than have a 90, 135 and 210mm lens, all moden models.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Lenses Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: