Graflex.org Forum Index Graflex.org
Get help with your Graflex questions here

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Connecting cords, focus spotlight bulb?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Billy Canuck

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:46 pm    Post subject: Connecting cords, focus spotlight bulb? Reply with quote

Still more questions from the flashbulb novice! I have an old-style Graflex 3-cell flash unit and a cord that has a female bi-post plug at one end (for connecting to the Supermatic X shutter) and a household plug on the other.
I downloaded a manual for the Graflex Flash Synchronizer that confuses me. It says that a cord with female bi-post plugs at both ends is the right one for ordinary flash photography. According to the manual, a cord with a household plug is for connecting an exterior light source.
My question: Can I use the household-plug connection for ordinary flash photography? If not, I'll have to find another cord but if possible I'd like to use the one I have.
Also, the bulb for the focus spotlight in front of the flash unit is burned out. I took it out and it looks like an ordinary flashlight bulb with screw thread labeled 3.8 volts. Does anyone know if this type of bulb is still current? I guess if I can find a bulb for the right voltage the screw thread isn't really necessary since the bulb is held in with a spring.
I'd appreciate any advice!
Henry

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As to the 3.8v bulb, yes it's current; it's the appropriate bulb for the ordinary 2-cell flashlight, which puts out 3v (1.5v x 2). You might have to search a bit for a screw base, as it seems almost all flashlights today call for the flanged, unthreaded base bulbs which are held in place by an insert. One of these bulbs might work in your device, depending on the arrangement of the spring.
glennfromwy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only use Heiland flash guns but I'll offer an educated guess. The cord you have should be the right one for use with a synced shutter. Bipost end goes on the shutter. Household end goes to the flash. There should be a socket on the flash labeled "shutter". That would be where it goes. The 3.8 volt bulb would be the correct one for your 3 cell. They tended to use too much voltage because those bulbs are not very bright. It shortens their life but it does perk 'em up. I may have some of those. I'll look tomorrow.

"Wyoming - Where everybody is somebody else's weirdo"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Graflex.org Forum Index -> Flash Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: